Cubs Minor League Recap: 6/26/14
In a full slate of minor league games Thursday, Tennessee and Kane County both pitched shutouts, Mesa secured a victory, and Iowa split a doubleheader. On the down side, Daytona gave up a late lead, and Boise’s bats were quiet. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (41-37)
2nd Place (-1.5)
Game 1: Iowa won the first game of the road doubleheader, topping the Sky Sox, 7-3.
- 2B Arismendy Alcantara (.294) led off the ninth with his ninth homer, finishing 2-for-3 with two runs, a double (20) and two RBI (35).
- CF Ryan Kalish (.233) had his first three-hit game of the season, going 3-for-4 with a run, his fourth double, two RBI (10) and two stolen bases (6).
- 1B Chris Valaika (.306) added two singles, a run and his 37th RBI.
- RHP Kyle Hendricks tossed his fourth-consecutive quality start, and 10th in 15 starts this season. He pitched six innings of two-run ball, striking out four, to pick up the victory.
Game 2: Player/coach Manny Ramirez made his season debut with Iowa, going 0-for-4 and reaching on an error as the I-Cubs fell in the nightcap at Colorado Springs, 7-6.
- SS Javier Baez (.237) went 3-for-4 with two runs, two doubles (13) and his team-leading 44th RBI.
- Iowa totaled six doubles on the night—two from Baez and one each from 3B Kris Bryant (1-for-4, RBI), PH Ryan Kalish (1-for-3, R), C Eli Whiteside (1-for-3) and Alcantara (1-for-4, R).
Tennessee Smokies (6-2)
1st Place (+1.5)
Tennessee blanked host Jackson for a 4-0 victory.
- RHP Corey Black pitched 5.1 scoreless innings, striking out three and picking up his third win of the season.
- Five Smokies recorded two hits apiece—2B Stephen Bruno (.300), 3B Christian Villanueva (.364), RF Rubi Silva (.255), LF Jonathan Mota (.192) and SS Elliot Soto (.152). Villanueva has three-straight multihit games (7-for-13).
- DH Charles Cutler (.322) hit a double (9) and knocked in a run (27) in four tries. He had the Smokies’ only extra-base hit.
- Following Black’s 5.1 scoreless frames, LHP Hunter Cervenka (2.87) and RHP P.J. Francescon (3.12) completed the shutout, throwing two and 1.2 innings, respectively.
Daytona Cubs (5-3)
T-1st Place (–)
RHP Michael Jensen (L, 4-3) allowed visiting Dunedin to take the lead with two earned runs in the ninth, and Daytona lost, 5-3.
- SS Marco Hernandez (.276) was the only Cub to record multiple hits, including his eighth double.
- Team RBI leaders 1B Dan Vogelbach (.271, 35 RBI) and CF Albert Almora (.254, 34 RBI) each added one to their season totals.
Kane County Cougars (5-2)
T-2nd Place (-0.5)
RHP Daury Torrez tossed eight scoreless innings in a 5-0 victory over Wisconsin.
- Torrez struck out seven and gave up five hits over eight innings in the win.
- C Kyle Schwarber (.455), C Ben Carhart (.293) and 1B Jacob Rogers (.263) each went 2-for-3 with an RBI. Schwarber and Carhart hit their third and 15th doubles, respectively.
- CF Trey Martin (.231) doubled in four tries and knocked in two (22).
- RHP James Pugliese (1.24) polished off the win with a perfect ninth inning.
Boise Hawks (5-9)
4th Place (-4.0)
Boise managed just five hits in a 10-0 loss to visiting Hillsboro.
- CF Rashad Crawford (.243) hit his second double and his third triple of the season.
- DH Justin Marra (.325) went 2-for-3 with his fifth double. He leads the team with eight extra-base hits.
- RHPs Greyfer Eregua (6.00) and David Garner (1.50) finished the game with four scoreless frames, allowing just one hit and fanning six.
Mesa Cubs (4-1)
1st Place (+0.5)
Mesa improved to a league-best 4-1, topping the visiting Athletics, 7-4.
- DH Jorge Soler hit his first homer, a two-run shot, and finished 1-for-2 with two runs and two RBI. In three games this season, he is 5-for-10 (.500) with three runs, two doubles, a homer and four RBI.
- CF Charcer Burks (.524) added a solo shot in the eighth. In five games, he is 11-for-21 (.524) with nine runs, four doubles, a triple, a homer, seven RBI and four stolen bases.
- LHP Andin Diaz (1-0, 0.00) earned the win in his first appearance, spinning three scoreless innings and striking out two.