Cubs Minor League Recap: 7/17/14
A vast majority of the Cubs’ top prospects put on a show in their respective minor league games Thursday, despite the six clubs going a combined 3-3. Iowa, Tennessee and Kane County all were winners while Daytona, Boise and Mesa were all on the losing end. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (52-46)
1st Place (+0.5)
Iowa recorded its eighth shutout of the season, beating host Round Rock, 7-0.
- Dallas Beeler pitched seven scoreless innings, giving up three hits and striking out four to pick up his sixth win of the season.
- 2B Javier Baez (.244) made his first start of the season at second and went 2-for-4 with a solo home run and three RBI (58).
- 3B Kris Bryant (.337) went 3-for-5 with a second-inning, solo home run.
- CF Matt Szczur (.244), RF Brett Jackson (.214) and SS Chris Valaika (.291) had multi-hit games.
- RHP’s Marcus Hatley (3.00) and Armando Rivero (1.50) each tossed a scoreless inning of relief.
Tennessee Smokies (14-13)
T-1st Place (–)
Tennessee held host Huntsville to just four hits in a 4-1 victory.
- RHP Corey Black fanned eight batters over six innings, giving up one earned run to grab the win.
- SS Addison Russell (.229) went 2-for-4 with a fourth-inning, solo home run.
- RF Jorge Soler (.415) went 1-for-2 with two walks and a sixth-inning, two-run blast.
- 3B Christian Villanueva (.274) went 1-for-4 with a ninth-inning, solo home run.
- 2B Emilio Bonifacio (.000) went 0-for-4 in his second game as part of a big league rehab assignment.
- RHP Frank Batista (0.98) tossed a scoreless ninth frame for his fifth save of the campaign.
Daytona Cubs (15-10)
T-1st Place (–)
Daytona dropped its second-straight game, falling at home against Fort Myers, 7-5.
- 1B Dan Vogelbach (.274) went 2-for-3 with a ninth-inning, two-run homer.
- LF Kyle Schwarber (.333) went 2-for-4 with a run scored.
- SS Marco Hernandez (.290) and 3B Jordan Hankins (.255) each had a hit and one RBI.
Kane County Cougars (18-8)
1st Place (+2.0)
Kane County scored three runs in the top of the 10th inning to defeat host Lansing, 3-0.
- RHP Duane Underwood pitched six scoreless innings, striking out three.
- 1B Jacob Rogers (.264) went 3-for-5 with a game-high two RBI (38).
- DH Ben Carhart (.282), C Will Remillard (.291) and LF Trey Martin (.239) all had two hits apiece.
- LHP Gerardo Concepcion (2-2, 4.17) tossed three scoreless innings of relief to earn his second victory.
Boise Hawks (19-15)
2nd Place (-1.0)
Boise had its four-game winning streak snapped, falling to visiting Spokane, 12-5.
- RF Jeffrey Baez (.282) went 1-for-5 to extend his Northwest League-leading hitting streak to 20 games (.356/31-for-87). His season average has risen from .164 to .282 over the course of the streak.
- SS Jason Vosler (.325) went 3-for-4 with one RBI (7).
- C Mark Zagunis (.352), 3B Jesse Hodges (.260) and DH Justin Marra (.320) had two hits apiece.
Mesa Cubs (10-9)
3rd Place (-1.5)
- RF Eloy Jimenez (.262) went 2-for-4 with a run scored.
- 1B Roney Alcala (.095) and 2B Ho-young Son (.235) each had one hit.
- RHP Jose Arias (0.82) struck out four hitters over three scoreless innings of relief.