Cubs Minor League Recap: 7/21/14
Daytona’s offense was dominant Monday, while Boise won despite only four hits. Iowa, Tennessee and Kane County couldn’t get it done, and Mesa had the day off. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (54-48)
1st Place (+0.5)
Iowa couldn’t overcome an early four-run deficit, falling at home against New Orleans, 5-4.
- 2B Javier Baez (.251) extended his hitting streak to 15 games (.306/19-for-62), going 1-for-4.
- 1B Lars Anderson (.277) went 1-for-4 with a seventh-inning, two-run homer.
- In his first Triple-A rehab appearance, RHP Kyuji Fujikawa (9.00) allowed a run on two hits in the eighth inning.
Tennessee Smokies (15-16)
3rd Place (-2.0)
Tennessee’s three runs in the bottom of the ninth weren’t enough, as they fell to Mississippi, 4-3.
- CF Jae-Hoon Ha (.219) went 1-for-5 with a three-run homer in the ninth inning.
- LF/RF Jonathan Mota (.243) posted his second-straight three-hit game, going 3-for-4 with a run.
- RF Jorge Soler (.410) recorded his seventh multihit game, going 2-for-3.
- RHP Tony Zych (4.63) struck out three hitters in two scoreless innings of relief.
Daytona Cubs (18-11)
1st Place (+1.5)
Daytona recorded 11 hits in a 9-6 victory over host Palm Beach.
- 3B Jordan Hankins (.254) went 1-for-3 with a fourth-inning, three-run blast.
- LF Rock Shoulders (.222) reached base four times, going 2-for-2 with two walks and a home run.
- 1B Dan Vogelbach (.271) went 2-for-5 with two runs scored and two RBI (51).
- RHP Michael Jensen (5-4, 2.56) earned the win, and RHP Starling Peralta (3.72) picked up the save.
Kane County Cougars (19-11)
1st Place (+2.0)
Kane County managed just five hits in a 3-1 loss at Great Lakes.
- 3B Jeimer Candelario (.248) went 1-for-4 with a fifth-inning, solo home run.
- RF Kevin Brown (.265) went 3-for-4 with his second double of the campaign.
- RHPs Zak Hermans (3.60) and Michael Wagner (3.19) combined to toss three scoreless innings of relief.
Boise Hawks (22-16)
T-1st Place (–)
Boise defeated visiting Salem-Keizer, 7-6, despite being outhit, 13-4.
- DH Justin Marra (.318) went 1-for-3 with an eighth-inning, solo blast.
- PH/C Dan Canela (.304) went 1-for-3 with a double (9) and a game-high three RBI (23).
- LHP Sam Wilson (2-0, 4.05) earned the win, and RHP David Garner (4.15) picked up the save.