Cubs Minor League Recap: 7/29/14
Daytona captured a win on a walk-off blast, and Boise racked up 20 hits en route to a victory Tuesday. Here are some highlights from yesterday minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (57-54)
T-1st Place (–)
Iowa fell to New Orleans, 2-1, as the Zephyrs scored runs in the ninth and 10th innings to record the win. The I-Cubs dropped their sixth-straight game.
- RHP Dae-Eun Rhee tossed six scoreless frames, fanning five in the no-decision.
- 3B Kris Bryant (.309) was 2-for-4 with a solo homer, RBI, walk and run scored. He had hit .194 (7-for-36) in his previous 11 contests.
- 1B Mike Olt (.320) was 2-for-4 with a walk, and has three multihit efforts in his first seven games with the I-Cubs.
- RHP Marcos Mateo (3.49) threw two shutout innings in relief of Rhee.
- LHP Zac Rosscup (2.66) suffered a blown save and allowed a run in the ninth on four walks.
Tennessee Smokies (20-19)
2nd Place (-0.5)
Tennessee tied the game at 2-2 with a run in the top of the ninth before Birmingham won, 3-2, in the bottom of the frame.
- RHP Pierce Johnson fanned eight over six innings, surrendering two earned runs in the no-decision.
- RF Jae-Hoon Ha (.226) was 2-for-5 with a double, an RBI and a run scored. His ninth-inning infield single plated PR Pin-Chieh Chen to tie the game at 2-2.
- LF Lars Anderson (.389) drew three walks, going 0-for-1.
- LHP Jeff Lorick (4.35) spun 1.2 shutout innings in relief of Johnson.
- RHP P.J. Francescon (4.11) retired the final batter in the eighth, but allowed the game-winning run in the ninth.
Daytona Cubs (25-12)
1st Place (+4.5)
Daytona won its seventh-straight game as C Kyle Schwarber hit a walk-off, two-run homer in the 10th to give the Cubs a 6-4 win.
- Including the walk-off homer, Schwarber (.265) finished 2-for-4 with a double, two RBI and two runs scored.
- 3B Wes Darvill (.285) was 2-for-4 with a double, run and an RBI. He has five RBI in his last four games.
- 2B Gioskar Amaya (.294) had three hits on the night and has hit safely in 11 straight games. He is hitting .419 (18-for-43) during the run.
- RHP Yao-Lin Wang (5.54) tossed 2.1 shutout frames in relief of LHP Rob Zastryzny, while RHP Stephen Perakslis (4.73) earned the win with two scoreless innings to close out the game.
Kane County Cougars (22-15)
1st Place (+1.0)
Kane County dropped its fourth-straight game, losing the series opener in Wisconsin, 3-2.
- 1B Jacob Rogers (.269) paced the Cougars with solo home runs in the sixth and eighth innings. He finished 2-for-3 with two runs, the two homers, two RBI and a walk. He has nine RBI in his last 10 games.
- The loss snapped a four-game winning streak for RHP Duane Underwood (5 IP, 2 ER, 6 K). He still has allowed two or fewer earned runs in each of his last six starts dating to June 28 (1.91 ERA).
Boise Hawks (3-5)
4th Place (-3.0)
Boise used 20 hits to defeat Hillsboro, 11-2. Hawks pitching surrendered just three hits.
- 2B Danny Lockhart (.625) was 4-for-4 with three runs, two doubles and two RBI.
- C Mark Zagunis (.330) finished 3-for-6 with two runs, a double and two RBI.
- 1B Danny Canela (.293) was 3-for-4 with a run and three RBI.
- SS Bryant Flete (.240) was 3-for-5 with a run.
- LF David Bote (.319) and DH Justin Marra (.295) had two hits apiece.
- Following RHP Josh Conway’s three shutout innings, LHP Sam Wilson (3.93) earned the win, allowing two runs in three innings.
- RHP Francisco Carrillo (2.42) picked up his first save with three shutout innings to finish the game.
Mesa Cubs (1-2)
T-3rd Place (-2.0)
The AZL Angels scored five runs—just one earned—in the first to jump ahead of Mesa, besting their host by a final score of 11-4. Mesa committed five errors, allowing eight unearned runs.
- 2B Andrew Ely (.378) knocked three singles for his third three-hit game in 11 tries this season.
- SS Gleyber Torres (.281) ripped his third triple and knocked in two (17). He has reached safely in his last nine games (.429/12-for-28, 9 BB).
- After RHP Scott Frazier allowed five runs (one earned) on no hits and five walks, retiring just one batter, LHP Jose Paulino (6.56) provided 5.2 innings of relief, allowing three runs (two earned) on six hits and striking out three.