Cubs Minor League Recap: 8/6/14
Tennessee secured a shutout win, and Kane County recaptured first place Wednesday. Meanwhile Daytona was shut out, and Mesa couldn’t get things going in a loss. Iowa and Boise had the day off. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor league action:
Tennessee Smokies (24-22)
1st Place (+1.5)
Tennessee recorded its eighth shutout of the season, blanking host Mobile, 5-0.
- RHP Felix Pena fanned eight batters over 5.1 innings, giving up three hits and no earned runs to pick up the win.
- LF Pin-Chieh Chen (.234) recorded two hits from the leadoff spot, including his second double, and knocked in one run (4). He has hit safely in his last four games (.357/5-for-14).
- SS Addison Russell (.295) reached base three times, finishing 2-for-4 with a run, a walk, a double (4) and an RBI (19). Russell has tallied 10 multihit efforts in 27 games with Tennessee.
- Three Smokies relievers recorded holds en route to the combined shutout: RHP Tony Zych (5.36, 4 H), LHP Andrew McKirahan (2.41, 3 H) and RHP P.J. Francescon (3.88, 5 H).
Daytona Cubs (26-17)
1st Place (+4.5)
Daytona was held to two hits by host Clearwater, falling 4-0. In their last five games, the Cubs have been blanked four times and have been outscored by their opponents, 30-3.
- LF Kyle Schwarber (.239) collected his second double of the season, the lone Daytona extra-base hit.
- DH Billy McKinney (.312) singled and walked. He has reached safely in 25 of his 27 games with Daytona this season (.312/.402/.452).
- LHP Austin Kirk (3.57) tossed 2.2 hitless innings of relief. He has posted a 1.17 ERA (2 ER/15.1 IP) in his last eight outings.
Kane County Cougars (27-18)
1st Place (-1.0)
Kane County captured sole possession of first place with a 4-2 win at Peoria.
- 3B Jeimer Candelario (.255) recorded three singles in four at-bats in his third three-hit game of the campaign.
- CF Jeffrey Baez (.262) added two singles of his own and drove in one (5). He also contributed defensively, recording an outfield assist in the fourth inning.
- RHP Jose Arias (1.77) recorded his fifth hold of the season with three scoreless frames of work, fanning five.
- RHP Tyler Bremer (2.43) earned his 12th save, striking out two in a scoreless ninth.
Mesa Cubs (2-6)
4th Place (-3.0)
The host AZL Reds jumped ahead with a two-run first inning and never looked back, beating Mesa, 10-4.
- SS Ho-young Son (.310) went 3-for-4 with a run, two RBI (6) and two stolen bases (8). His eight stolen bases in 15 games rank third on the team.
- RF Ricardo Marcano (.275) singled and doubled (6) to extend his hitting streak to 15 games dating back to July 9 (.310/18-for-58).