Cubs Minor League Recap: 4/9/15
Pitching powered Tennessee to a victory, the bats came alive in Myrtle Beach’s organizational debut, and South Bend captured a win in walk-off fashion in its first game with the Cubs on Thursday. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor league Cubs action:
Iowa Cubs (0-1)
T-Third Place (-1.0)
Iowa scored four runs in the third inning, but could not hold on to the lead as it fell 7-4 at Memphis in the season opener.
- SS Addison Russell (.500) went 2-for-4 with a run scored and an RBI.
- 1B Mike Baxter (.500) also added two hits and a run scored.
- 3B Kris Bryant (.250) went 1-for-4 with an RBI, a run scored and a stolen base.
- RHP Gonzalez Germen (0.00) walked one and struck out one in a scoreless inning of work.
Tennessee Smokies (1-0)
T-First Place (–)
The Smokies kicked off their 2015 campaign with a 7-2 win over host Mississippi.
- RHP Corey Black pitched five innings, giving up one earned run on four hits and three walks. He struck out four.
- C Kyle Schwarber (.333) went 1-for-3 with two walks, a triple (1), two runs scored and an RBI.
- SS Elliot Soto (.250) and LF Pin-Chieh Chen (.250) each doubled and scored a run. Chen also added an RBI.
- 2B Stephen Bruno (.250) went 1-for-4 with a triple and a run scored.
- RHP C.J. Edwards (3.86) allowed one run on two hits in 2.1 innings of relief. He struck out two batters.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (1-0)
T-First Place (–)
Myrtle Beach collected nine runs and 15 hits as they rolled over Wilmington 9-1 in their first game as a Cubs affiliate.
- RHP Duane Underwood pitched five scoreless innings to pick up the win. He surrendered four hits and struck out five.
- 1B Jacob Rogers (.750) fell a triple shy of the cycle as he went 3-for-4 with a double, a home run, two runs scored and two RBI.
- CF Jacob Hannemann (.600) and SS Carlos Penalver (.750) each collected three hits and scored a run.
- DH Shawon Dunston (.333) and 2B Daniel Lockhart (.500) each tripled in the victory.
- RHP Jonathan Martinez (1.0 IP), RHP James Pugliese (2.0 IP) and RHP Starling Peralta (1.0 IP) combined to allow just four hits and no runs in four innings of relief.
South Bend Cubs (1-0)
First Place (+0.5)
First baseman Cael Brockmeyer hit a walk-off home run in the ninth inning to lift South Bend to a 2-1 victory over Bowling Green in their first game as a Cubs affiliate.
- RHP Jake Stinnett gave up one run over five innings and struck out four in the no-decision.
- 1B Cael Brockmeyer (.750) went 3-for-4 with the walk-off homer, two doubles, one run and one RBI.
- RF Jeffrey Baez (.250) started the scoring with a solo home run in the second inning.
- RHP James Farris (0.00) collected the win as he tossed two scoreless innings with four strikeouts.