Cubs Minor League Recap: 4/13/15
Pitching and hitting came together to drive Iowa and Tennessee to wins, while South Bend was on the losing end Monday. Myrtle Beach was rained out, with a doubleheader now scheduled for Tuesday. Here are some notes from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (3-2)
Third Place (-1.0)
Iowa took the first game of the series, 4-1, at New Orleans. Four I-Cubs had multihit games, and the pitching staff allowed no earned runs, helping the team to their third-straight victory.
- RHP Yoanner Negrin gave up no earned runs across 4.2 innings of work, striking out five in the no-decision.
- 3B Kris Bryant (.381) had his second three-hit game of the season, going 3-for-5 with a stolen base.
- 1B Mike Baxter (.538) went 2-for-2, walked twice, scored once and hit a double in the second that plated one. He has hit safely in all four games to begin the season with three multihit outings.
- C Rafael Lopez (.364) and LF Junior Lake (.227) also added multihit games.
- RHP Gonzalez Germen (0.00), LHP James Russell (0.00) and LHP Joseph Ortiz (0.00) combined for 4.1 shutout innings of relief, giving up one hit, walking none and fanning three batters.
Tennessee Smokies (3-2)
Second Place (-1.0)
Third baseman Christian Villanueva homered twice as the Smokies cruised past Mississippi, 10-4. Villanueva (.238) went 2-for-3 with two homers, three RBI (7), two walks and three runs scored.
- RHP Frank Batista picked up the win, giving up an earned run on three hits and no walks over six innings. He also struck out three.
- 1B Dan Vogelbach (.444) went 2-for-3 with two doubles (4). He also walked twice and scored once.
- CF Albert Almora (.261) went 2-for-6, hit a double (2), drove in a run and scored once.
- LF Pin-Chieh Chen (.235) hit a triple that plated three runs in the third inning (7).
- Six Smokies had at least one RBI. All eight position player starters recorded a hit.
South Bend Cubs (3-2)
Third Place (-1.0)
The South Bend Cubs fell 6-1 at Dayton, evening up the three-game series at a game apiece.
- 1B Cael Brockmeyer (.400) went 2-for-4, hit his fourth double and recorded an RBI (4).
- 2B Chesny Young (.278) went 2-for-4 and scored once.