Cubs Minor League Recap: 4/20/15
Myrtle Beach poured it on in extra innings, South Bend put an end to a losing streak, and Iowa salvaged a doubleheader split on Monday. Tennessee struggled on defense and couldn’t get the bats going in a loss. Here are some notes from yesterday’s minor league Cubs action:
Iowa Cubs (5-6)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Third Place (-3.5)
Game 1: Iowa managed just two hits in an 8-0 loss vs. Oklahoma City.
- 2B Addison Russell (.300) went 1-for-3, singling with two outs in the seventh inning to break up ex-Cub Scott Baker’s perfect game.
- 1B Mike Baxter (.391) went 1-for-3 with his third double of the season.
- RHP Michael Wagner (0.00) tossed 3.0 scoreless innings of relief in his Iowa debut.
Game 2: Iowa snapped a three-game losing skid with a 4-3, nine-inning win vs. Oklahoma City.
- RF Junior Lake (.235) recorded a walk-off sacrifice fly to drive in Baxter in the ninth.
- C Taylor Davis (.273) went 2-for-4 with a sixth inning solo home run.
- 2B Addison Russell (.318) went 2-for-4 with two doubles and two RBI.
- LHP James Russell (1-0, 0.00) struck out three in 2.0 scoreless innings to earn his first win of the year.
Tennessee Smokies (6-4)
Southern League (Double-A)
T-First Place (–)
Tennessee managed just three hits and committed four errors in a 7-1 loss at Jackson.
- RHP Frank Batista pitched 4.2 scoreless innings, striking out six in the no-decision. He has allowed just one run in 10.2 innings of work this season.
- 1B Dan Vogelbach (.457) went 1-for-4 with a second inning solo home run.
- 2B Stephen Bruno (.393) and RF Bijan Rademacher (.286) each recorded a hit.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (7-3)
Carolina League (High-A)
First Place (+1.0)
Myrtle Beach scored three runs in the 11th inning to beat host Salem, 7-4.
- DH Billy McKinney (.296) went 2-for-5 with a sixth inning solo home run.
- 1B Jacob Rogers (.323) went 1-for-2 with three walks and an eighth inning homer.
- CF Jacob Hannemann (.270) and C Victor Caratini (.292) had two hits apiece.
- RHP Tayler Scott (1-0, 1.50) tossed 3.0 scoreless innings to earn the win.
- RHP Matt Brazis (3.86) earned the save with a scoreless 11th inning of work.
South Bend Cubs (5-7)
Midwest League (Low-A)
T-Fifth Place (-4.0)
South Bend snapped a two-game skid with a 3-0 win over visiting Great Lakes.
- RHP Ryan Williams gave up no earned runs in 5.2 innings, fanning three in the win.
- 3B Jesse Hodges (.250) went 2-for-4 with a season-high-tying three RBI.
- 2B Chesny Young (.293) went 2-for-3 with a walk, two runs scored and two stolen bases.
- RHP James Norwood (6.75) tossed 2.0 scoreless innings to earn his first save of the year.