Cubs Minor League Recap: 4/21/14
Pitching boosted Iowa to a victory, and Myrtle Beach extended a winning streak on Tuesday. Tennessee let a stellar starting pitching effort go to waste, while South Bend surrendered a late lead in a loss. Here are some notes from yesterday’s Cubs minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (6-6)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Third Place (-3.5)
Iowa won its second consecutive game, defeating visiting New Orleans, 6-4.
- RHP Donn Roach (2.60) gave up one earned run in 6.0 innings of work, striking out three to pick up the win. He has allowed just one run in 12.0 innings this season.
- CF Matt Szczur (.750) went 3-for-4 with an RBI in his first game back at Iowa.
- SS Chris Valaika (.244) collected his second three-hit game of the season, going 3-for-4 with a run scored.
- C Taylor Teagarden (.400) hit a two-run homer in the fourth inning, his first of the season. He finished 2-for-3 with a double, a homer, one run scored and four RBI.
Tennessee Smokies (6-5)
Southern League (Double-A)
T-First Place (–)
Tennessee dropped a 5-3 decision at Jackson, its second straight defeat to begin the five-game series.
- C Kyle Schwarber (.261) went 2-for-5 with an RBI, for his second multi-hit game of the season.
- CF Pin-Chieh Chen (.222) collected his first multi-hit game, going 2-for-5 with a triple (2) and a run.
- 1B Dan Vogelbach (.436) went 1-for-4 with a double. He has hit safely in 10 of 11 games.
- RHP Corey Black (1.80) tossed his first quality start of the season, allowing one unearned run in 6.0 innings. He struck out four and surrendered just two hits.
Myrtle Beach (8-3)
Carolina League (High-A)
First Place (+2.0)
Myrtle Beach won its fifth straight game, topping host Salem, 7-4.
- RHP Jen-Ho Tseng struck out three and gave up two earned runs in 4.1 innings.
- SS Carlos Penalver (.259) went 2-for-3 with a double and a run driven in.
- C Ben Carhart (.214) went 1-for-3 with a home run, two walks, two runs and two RBI.
- RHP James Pugliese (3.00) earned the win in relief, tossing 2.2 shutout innings.
South Bend Cubs (5-8)
Midwest League (Low-A)
Seventh Place (-5.0)
South Bend surrendered four runs in the final three innings, falling 5-2 at home to Lake County.
- LF Charcer Burks (.333) extended his hitting streak to five games (.474/9-for-19) with a 2-for-4 night that included one RBI.
- DH Justin Marra (.095) hit his first homer of the season, a solo shot in the third inning. He went 1-for-2 with a walk and two runs scored.
- RHP Jake Stinnett (4.38) allowed a season low two hits in 5.0 innings. He struck out four and walked five in the no-decision.