Cubs Minor League Recap: 4/23/15
Tennessee, Myrtle Beach and South Bend all cruised to victories on Thursday, while Iowa gave up an early lead and couldn’t fight back. Here are some notes from yesterday’s minor league Cubs action:
Iowa Cubs (6-8)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Third Place (-5.5)
Iowa fell to New Orleans 9-2 after giving up a season-high six runs in the first inning.
- SS Chris Valaika hit a two-run homer in the eighth inning and walked once. It marked his seventh RBI and second home run this season.
- RHP Andres Santiago (0.00) threw 3.1 scoreless innings, giving up only three hits, walking two and fanning two batters.
Tennessee Smokies (8-5)
Southern League (Double-A)
First Place (+1.5)
Tennessee cruised to a 9-2 victory at Jackson, drawing a season high 12 walks.
- RHP Felix Pena (1.53) secured the win, giving up two earned runs in 5.2 innings pitched. He struck out eight and walked two.
- DH Kyle Schwarber (.371) went 3-for-6 with a home run and a double, plating two and scoring twice. It was his third consecutive multi-hit game.
- C Willson Contreras (.333) went 2-for-3 with two doubles, one RBI, two walks and two runs scored. Contreras had his fourth multi-hit game this season.
- 3B Ryan Dent (.290) went 3-for-4 and picked up three RBI.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (9-4)
Carolina League (High-A)
First Place (+3.0)
Myrtle Beach pulled away with a four-run fifth inning to top Winston-Salem 6-0 in the first game of the series. The Pelicans are now 4-0 against Winston-Salem this season.
- CF Jacob Hannemann (.280) went 3-for-4 with a double, an RBI, a stolen base (6) and two runs. It marked his fifth multi-hit game this season.
- RF Billy McKinney (.325) also had a multi-hit game, going 2-for-4.
- C Ben Carthart (.235) hit a two-run double in the fifth inning. Carhart also walked and scored a run.
- RHP Daury Torrez threw his first quality start to pick up the win, pitching 7.0 scoreless innings, giving up four hits and fanning one batter.
South Bend Cubs (7-8)
Midwest League (Low-A)
Fifth Place (-4.0)
South Bend blanked Lake County 10-0 in the rubber game of the series. The SB Cubs outscored Lake County 26-3 over the final two games.
- RHP Erick Leal picked up the win after pitching 5.0 scoreless innings, striking out six and walking just one batter.
- RF Yasiel Balaguert (.188) went 2-for-4 with a triple and a three-run double to go along with one run scored.
- CF Trey Martin (.267) picked up his sixth multi-hit game this season.
- SS Gleyber Torres (.275) went 2-for-3 with two RBI, two stolen bases and one run scored.
- 2B Chesny Young (.340) went 2-for-5, swiped a base and scored twice. Young is currently on an eight-game hitting streak (13-for-31) and has six multi-hit games on the season.
- LHP Tyler Ihrig (0.96) earned his first save after throwing 4.0 scoreless innings, giving up one hit and fanning five batters.