Cubs Minor League Recap: 4/27/15
The Cubs’ two Single-A affiliates had the day off Monday, while the higher-level teams both fell despite several notable performances. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor league Cubs action:
Iowa Cubs (7-10)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Third Place (-6.5)
Iowa was blanked at Colorado Springs 7-0, as the I-Cubs collected just four hits. The second game of the doubleheader was postponed due to rain and will be played tonight.
- SS Chris Valaika (.259) went 2-for-2 and drew a walk.
- 3B Christian Villanueva (.233) hit his second double of the season and walked once.
Tennessee Smokies (10-6)
Southern League (Double-A)
First Place (+2.0)
Tennessee’s four-game winning streak was snapped by Chattanooga, as the Smokies fell 5-3 in the third game of the five-game home series.
- C Kyle Schwarber (.370) went 2-for-3, walked once and knocked a sixth-inning solo homer. Schwarber has recorded a hit in his last six starts, four of which were multi-hit games.
- 2B Ryan Dent (.262) blasted a two-run homer in the seventh inning. He has earned an RBI in four of the last five games for a total of eight on the season.
- LHP Jeffry Antigua (1.35) tossed 3.0 scoreless innings, giving up just one hit and fanning three batters.