Cubs Minor League Recap: 4/29/15
Late runs made the difference in all three minor league games Wednesday, with Cubs affiliates pulling out victories on two occasions. Myrtle Beach and South Bend each scored a pair of eighth-inning runs in wins, but Tennessee surrendered a pair in the ninth in a loss. Here are some notes from yesterday’s Cubs minor league action:
Tennessee Smokies (11-7)
Southern League (Double-A)
First Place (+2.5)
Tennessee surrendered two ninth-inning runs as it fell 3-1 at home to Chattanooga.
- 2B Stephen Bruno (.310) went 2-for-4, marking his sixth multi-hit game of the season.
- C Kyle Schwarber (.377) went 1-for-4 with a double, extending his hitting streak to eight games (.457/16-for-35).
- RHP Felix Pena struck out seven batters in 7.0 innings of work, giving up just one run. He has allowed four runs in 24.2 innings this season, fanning 23 and walking seven.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (10-8)
Carolina League (High-A)
First Place (+0.5)
Myrtle Beach scored two runs in the eighth inning to come from behind and defeat Wilmington 2-1.
- LF Mark Zagunis (.255) went 2-for-3 with a walk and an RBI. He has three RBI in his last four games.
- RF Billy McKinney (.310) collected his sixth multi-hit game in the last 10 contests, going 2-for-4.
- RHP Jonathan Martinez allowed just two hits in 6.0 scoreless frames, lowering his ERA to 2.12.
- LHP Gerardo Concepcion (1.69) collected his first save, pitching 2.0 scoreless innings.
South Bend Cubs (10-10)
Midwest League (Low-A)
Fifth Place (-3.0)
- SS Gleyber Torres (.318) hit a go-ahead, two-run triple in the eighth inning. He finished 2-for-3 with a walk and two RBI (12).
- 3B Jason Vosler (.259) went 2-for-4 and has now hit safely in five of the last six games.
- RHP Jeremy Null (0.79) gave up no earned runs in 5.2 innings, striking out six in the no-decision. He has struck out 23 batters while walking none in 22.2 innings this season, allowing just two runs.