Cubs Minor League Recap: 5/3/15
Iowa and Myrtle Beach captured wins behind strong offensive performances, while Tennessee’s pitching boosted the Smokies to victory on Sunday. Only South Bend was on the losing end of the scoreboard. Here are some notes from yesterday’s minor league Cubs action:
Iowa Cubs (10-13)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Third Place (-7.5)
Iowa blasted two homers, a triple and two doubles in a 7-3 victory over Oklahoma City.
- 3B Arismendy Alcantara (.279) went 3-for-5 with a solo homer, drove in two runs and scored once. He extended his hitting streak to six games (10-for-25/.400).
- 2B Javier Baez (.263) went 3-for-5 with a homer and a double, earning two RBI and scoring once.
- CF Matt Szczur (.250) knocked a triple that plated one. He also scored once.
- C Rafael Lopez (.260) went 3-for-5 with a double and one run scored.
- LF Adron Chambers (.229) also had a multi-hit game, walking once and scoring one.
- RHP Donn Roach (2.59) tossed a season high 8.0 innings in his fourth consecutive quality start. He has given up just five earned runs over his last 26.0 innings of work.
Tennessee Smokies (13-9)
Southern League (Double-A)
First Place (+1.5)
Tennessee won its second consecutive game, blanking Birmingham 3-0. The teams have split the first four games of the five-game series.
- RF Bijan Rademacher (.244) went 2-for-4 with a double, a triple, an RBI and two runs.
- SS Elliot Soto (.292) went 3-for-4, plated two and swiped a base.
- 1B Dan Vogelbach had a multi-hit game, extending his hitting streak to four games (7-for-17/.412).
- CF Jacob Hannemann (.250) hit a double and had his third multi-hit game with the I-Cubs.
- RHP Ivan Pineyro (3.25) tossed 7.0 scoreless innings, lowering his ERA from 4.35 to 3.25.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (13-9)
Carolina League (High-A)
First Place (+1.0)
Right Fielder Billy McKinney (.290) crushed two solo home runs to help Myrtle Beach to a 2-1 victory at Lynchburg. The Pelicans look to sweep the four-game series tonight.
- 1B Jacobs Rogers (.278) had a multi-hit game, extending his hitting streak to four games (7-for-15, .467). He has recorded multi-hit games in four of his last seven appearances.
- McKinney’s two homers marked his seventh multi-hit game of the season and the second multi-homer game of his career.
- RHP Tyler Skulina (4.95) fanned a season high eight batters and allowed just one hit in 6.0 innings for his first quality start of the campaign.
South Bend Cubs (13-11)
Midwest League (Low-A)
T-Third Place (-2.0)
South Bend’s four-game winning streak was snapped in a 6-3 setback against Fort Wayne.
- 2B Chesny Young (.326) went 2-for-4 with two doubles in his third consecutive multi-hit game.
- LF Charcer Burks (.316) went 3-for-5, hit a double, plated two, swiped two bases and scored once.
- RHP Ryan Williams (0.35) had his fourth scoreless outing, pitching 6.0 innings and striking out five. He has given up just one earned run and 14 hits over 25.2 innings of work.