Cubs Minor League Recap: 5/5/15
Iowa and Myrtle Beach each kept winning streaks alive, and South Bend picked up a victory behind a dominating pitching performance Tuesday. Tennessee couldn’t hang on in the loss. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (12-13)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Third Place (-7.0)
Iowa won its third straight game, blanking host Nashville 4-0. It marks the I-Cubs’ second shutout this year.
- RHP Carlos Pimentel (5.40) fanned seven in 6.0 innings, giving up no runs on three hits.
- DH Adron Chambers (.255) went 2-for-3 with a triple and a walk, adding two RBI and a run scored.
- 3B Chris Valaika (.224) snapped a six-game hitless skid (0-for-14), going 2-for-4 with a double, a walk, a run scored and his eighth RBI of the season.
- RF John Andreoli (.271) went 2-for-4 with a walk and two stolen bases.
- LF Mike Baxter (.323) went 2-for-4 and has hit safely in three straight games (4-for-12).
Tennessee Smokies (13-11)
Southern League (Double-A)
T-First Place (–)
Tennessee surrendered four runs in the sixth inning, dropping a 4-3 decision at Pensacola.
- SS Elliot Soto (.277) went 2-for-5 with a run scored. It’s his sixth multi-hit game of the season.
- 3B Anthony Giansanti (.206) went 2-for-4 with a run scored.
- RHP Starling Peralta (1.13) allowed just three hits in 2.1 scoreless innings. He has allowed one run in 8.0 innings of work this season.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (15-9)
Carolina League (High-A)
First Place (+1.5)
Myrtle Beach won its fifth straight game as the Pelicans scored five runs in the fourth inning to win 5-2 over visiting Salem.
- RF Billy McKinney (.299) went 1-for-4 with a double, two RBI and a run scored.
- LF Mark Zagunis (.267), DH Ben Carhart (.222), 1B Jacob Rogers (.300) and 3B Jeimer Candelario (.258) all had one hit and a run scored.
- RHP Jonathan Martinez picked up the win, giving up two earned runs in 6.0 innings. He has tossed back-to-back quality starts, allowing two earned runs in 12.0 innings.
South Bend Cubs (14-12)
Midwest league (Low-A)
T-Third Place (-2.0)
RHP Jeremy Null tossed 8.0 scoreless innings as South Bend blanked Great Lakes 3-0.
- LF Charcer Burks (.321) went 2-for-4 with a double.
- SS Gleyber Torres (.333) went 1-for-4 with an RBI (16). It’s his seventh RBI in the last eight games.
- RHP Jeremy Null has not allowed a run in his last three starts (19.2 IP). He walked his first batter of the season last night and has 26 total strikeouts.