Cubs Minor League Recap: 5/7/15
Iowa battled back to claim a victory, and Myrtle Beach and South Bend each came away winners in one-run games on Thursday. Tennessee, on the other hand, was unable to retain its early lead. Here are some notes from yesterday’s Cubs minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (13-14)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Third Place (-7.0)
Iowa rallied in the seventh inning to come from behind and top Nashville, 4-1, in the series finale.
- LHP Tsuyoshi Wada gave up one earned run in 5.2 innings, striking out six in the no-decision.
- LF Arismendy Alcantara (.233) blasted a two-run homer in the seventh-inning, walked once and swiped a base.
- DH Mike Baxter (.314) went 2-for-4 and scored once. It marked his second multi-hit game of the series.
- SS Jonathan Mota (.315) had a pair of hits.
- RHP Gonzalez Germen (3-0, 0.00) tossed 1.1 hitless innings to collect his third win at Iowa. He has not given up a hit in five games (6.0 innings).
Tennessee Smokies (15-12)
Southern League (Double-A)
First Place (+0.5)
Tennessee got off to a 4-0 lead in the top of the first, but was unable to hold on, falling to Pensacola, 5-4.
- RF Bijan Rademacher (.232) hit a double, drove in three and scored once.
- SS Elliot Soto (.284) went 2-for-3 with an RBI. It marked his seventh multi-hit game this season.
- RHP Corey Black took a no-decision after 5.0 innings of work. Black has fanned 22 batters over his last three appearances (15.2 innings).
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (17-10)
Carolina League (High-A)
First Place (+0.5)
LF Billy McKinney (.313) blasted a walk-off home run in the 10th inning to beat Salem, 2-1. The Pelicans have won seven of their last eight games.
- McKinney also walked a career-high four times and scored twice. He has earned at least one RBI in the last six games and has recorded a hit in five of his last six appearances.
- 1B Jacob Rogers (.286) plated a run in the sixth inning to tie the game at one.
- RHP Duane Underwood (1.29) tossed a quality start, giving up just one run on three hits, walking one and fanning four batters in 7.0 innings of work.
South Bend Cubs (15-13)
Midwest League (High-A)
T-Third Place (-2.0)
South Bend opened up a three-game road set at Bowling Green with a 3-2 victory.
- LF Charcer Burks (.341) went 1-for-3, drove in two runs and walked twice. Burks extended his hitting streak to five games (10-for-20/.500).
- 3B Jesse Hodges (.232) hit his fifth double, scored once and walked once.
- DH Justin Marra (.170) also knocked a double and walked once. He has recorded a hit in his last five appearances.
- CF Rashad Crawford (.273) picked up his 12th RBI for the SB-Cubs.
- RHP Zach Hedges (2.77) fanned a season-high four batters in 5.0 innings of work to pick up the win. He allowed no earned runs.