Cubs Minor League Recap: 5/11/15
Tennessee, Myrtle Beach and South Bend all picked up wins yesterday behind strong hitting, but Iowa fell despite scoring seven against Colorado Springs.
Iowa Cubs (15-16)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Third Place (-7.0)
Iowa surrendered a season-high 13 runs in a 13-7 setback against Colorado Springs.
- LF John Andreoli (.295) blasted a triple (3), drove in two (5), walked once, scored twice and swiped three bases (12). He extended his hitting streak to four games (7-for-15/.467).
- C Rafael Lopez (.254) went 2-for-4 with a triple, three RBI (8), one walk and one run scored. This marked his second-consecutive multi-hit game.
- CF Arismendy Alcantara (.231) and 1B Chris Valaika (.233) each recorded a double and scored once.
Tennessee Smokies (16-14)
Southern League (Double-A)
Second Place (-2.0)
Tennessee blanked Montgomery 4-0 to snap a three-game losing streak. The Smokies crushed back-to-back home runs in the eighth inning.
- 1B Dan Vogelbach (.333) blasted a solo homer (4) in the eighth inning and walked twice.
- DH Willson Contreras (.330) also hit a solo home run (2) in the eighth and scored twice.
- 2B Stephen Bruno (.273) had a multi-hit game and plated one (11).
- SS Elliot Soto (.284) went 1-for-1 and walked a season high three times.
- LHP Jeffry Antigua (2.95), RHP Michael Jensen (0.61) and RHP P.J. Francescon (0.71) combined for 9.0 shutout innings, giving up just two hits apiece and fanning three batters apiece.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (20-12)
Carolina League (High-A)
First Place (+1.0)
Myrtle Beach bested Winston-Salem 8-5 in the rubber game of the five-game series.
- DH Billy McKinney (.340) collected his third straight multi-hit game, going 2-for-4 with three RBI (25).
- RF Mark Zagunis (.294) went 2-for-4, hit a double (6), drove in a run (10), walked once and scored once. He extended his hitting streak to five games (8-for-19/.421).
- CF Trey Martin (.218) blasted a triple, walked once and scored once.
- RHP Zach Cates (0.00) picked up his first save, tossing 2.0 hitless innings, walking two and fanning two. He has not given up a run over his last 5.0 innings of work (three games).
South Bend Cubs (16-15)
Midwest League (High-A)
T-Fourth Place (-3.0)
South Bend topped Lansing 7-4 in the series opener at home. Five different SB Cubs players earned an RBI.
- 3B Jesse Hodges (.247) went 2-for-3 with a solo homer (2) in the sixth inning and walked once. He has recorded a hit in his last five games (7-for-17/.412).
- RF Yasiel Balaguert (.189) blasted a two-run homer in the second inning to give the SB Cubs the lead.
- C Gioskar Amaya (.194) went 2-for-3, hit a double (3), drove in one (7) walked once and scored once.
- 2B Chesny Young (.315) went 2-for-4 with two runs scored and an RBI (14).
- LHP Tommy Thorpe (4.60) and RHP James Farris (2.87) combined for 4.0 scoreless innings of relief, giving up just one hit and fanning five batters.