Cubs Minor League Recap: 5/13/15
Iowa battled back to win in walk-off fashion, while South Bend’s comeback efforts fell short Wednesday. Tennessee had the day off, and Myrtle Beach was postponed. Here are some notes from yesterday’s minor league Cubs action:
Iowa Cubs (16-17)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Third Place (-6.0)
The I-Cubs scored three runs in the bottom of the ninth to defeat visiting Nashville, 3-2.
- RHP Donn Roach (2.03) surrendered one run in 7.0 innings, striking out three in the no-decision. He has gone 4-0 with a 1.38 ERA in his last six starts.
- DH Junior Lake (.266) went 2-for-3 with a two-run walk-off single in the ninth inning. He also doubled and walked.
- 3B Christian Villanueva (.283) went 1-for-3 with a double.
- LHP Joe Ortiz (4.20) tossed a scoreless ninth inning to collect his first win of the season.
South Bend Cubs (17-16)
Midwest League (Low-A)
Fifth Place (-3.0)
South Bend scored two runs in the ninth inning, but could not complete the comeback, falling 6-4 at home to Lansing.
- SS Gleyber Torres (.336) went 3-for-5 with a double, an RBI and a run scored. He extended his hitting streak to three games (6-for-12).
- 1B Cael Brockmeyer (.295) went 1-for-5 with a double and an RBI.
- RHP Francisco Carrillo (4.58) allowed two hits and no runs in 2.2 innings of relief, fanning one.