Cubs Minor League Recap: 5/14/15
Iowa and Tennessee secured wins, but South Bend couldn’t hold on to an early lead Thursday. Meanwhile, Myrtle Beach was postponed. Here are some notes from yesterday’s minor league Cubs action:
Iowa Cubs (17-17)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
T-Second Place (-6.0)
Iowa won its second straight game, holding off a ninth-inning rally to defeat Nashville, 6-4.
- DH Javier Baez (.281) went 2-for-4, picking up a season-high three RBI. He extended his hitting streak to five games (8-for-18/.444).
- RF Rubi Silva (.247) went 2-for-3 with a double, plated two and scored once.
- LHP Tsuyoshi Wada (2.86) earned his first win and second quality start of the season, pitching 7.0 innings, giving up one earned run and striking out six. He has fanned 17 batters while walking three over his last three appearances (19.2 innings).
Tennessee Smokies (18-15)
Southern League (Double-A)
Second Place (-2.5)
Tennessee bested Montgomery 8-1 to take the series. The two teams will wrap up their five-game set tonight at Tennessee.
- RHP Ivan Pineyro (3.18) gave up one earned run in 5.0 innings and struck out seven to pick up his third win of the year. He’s fanned 17 batters and walked none in his last 12.0 innings of work.
- DH Willson Contreras (.347) went 3-for-4 with a double, three RBI and three runs scored.
- CF Jacob Hannemann (.200) went 2-for-4 including a double and three RBI.
- RF Billy McKinney (.500) had a multi-hit game that included two doubles, one RBI and one run scored in his debut with the Smokies.
- C Kyle Schwarber (.316) went 3-for-5 and scored once.
South Bend Cubs (17-17)
Midwest League (Low-A)
Fourth Place (-3.0)
South Bend got out to an early lead with four runs in the first inning, but ultimately fell to Lansing, 8-6.
- SS Gleyber Torres (.339) went 2-for-5, plated one and scored once. He extended his hitting streak to four games (8-for-17/.471).
- C Cael Brockmeyer (.310) went 3-for-5 with an RBI and two runs scored.
- 3B Jason Vosler (.263) went 2-for-5, plated one and scored once. It marked his third consecutive multi-hit game.
- 1B Gioskar Amaya (.204) had a multi-hit game, swiped a base and drove in two runs.
- RF Yasiel Balaguert (.209) plated one, extending his RBI streak to four games.