Cubs Minor League Recap: 5/17/15
Myrtle Beach completed a comeback to keep its winning streak alive, and Tennessee split a doubleheader on Sunday. Iowa and South Bend each rallied, but neither could battle all the way back in losing efforts. Here are some notes from yesterday’s minor league Cubs action:
Iowa Cubs (18-19)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Second Place (-8.0)
Iowa rallied in the fifth inning but was unable overcome the Dodgers’ early lead. The I-Cubs dropped their second consecutive game to Oklahoma City, 7-5.
- SS Jonathan Mota (.293) blasted a solo homer in the fifth inning to kick off a four-run Iowa rally.
- LF Arismendy Alcantara (.229) went 2-for-4, walked once, swiped a base and scored once.
- PH-1B Taylor Davis (.311) went 3-for-3 with three doubles, one RBI and one run scored.
- RF Rubi Silva (.258) went 2-for-4 and scored once, extending his hitting streak to four games.
Tennessee Smokies (21-16)
Southern League (Double-A)
Second Place (-2.0)
GM 1: Tennessee blanked Jackson, 5-0, behind a strong pitching performance.
- C Kyle Schwarber (.340) went 2-for-4 with two home runs, three RBI and three runs scored. It marked his third consecutive multi-hit game (8-for-13/.615).
- RF Albert Almora (.304) went 2-for-3, walked once and scored once. He extended his hitting streak to five games, including three consecutive multi-hit games (8-for-20/.400).
- SS Ryan Dent (.242) went 3-for-3, giving him two three-hit games this season.
- RHP Frank Batista (1.28) tossed his first career complete-game shutout (7.0 innings). He has allowed six earned runs in seven starts (42.1 IP) this season.
GM 2: Tennessee fell to Jackson, as the Generals picked up a 1-0 victory after scoring a run in the eighth inning.
- RHP Andres Santiago (5.51) pitched 5.0 scoreless innings in the no decision, striking out four.
- LF Billy McKinney (.357) went 2-for-2, walked once and knocked a double.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (23-12)
Carolina League (High-A)
First Place (+3.5)
Myrtle Beach extended its winning streak to five games, topping Carolina in a 6-5 comeback victory.
- CF Pin-Chieh Chen (.583) went 3-for-4 and hit a two-run homer in the eighth inning.
- 3B Jeimer Candelario (.280) went 2-for-5 and plated one. He has recorded a hit in his last five appearances, with four multi-hit games (10-for-24/.417).
- SS Chesny Young (.385) had a multi-hit game, walked once and scored twice.
- RHP Daury Torrez (4.00) earned his third win after tossing 2.0 scoreless innings and giving up just one hit.
South Bend (18-19)
Midwest League (Low-A)
Fifth Place (-4.0)
South Bend rallied to tie the game in the fifth inning but ultimately fell to Great Lakes, 7-4.
- SS Gleyber Torres (.338) went 3-for-5 with two doubles and plated three.
- CF Rashad Crawford (.289) finished 2-for-4 and scored once.
- 2B David Bote (.283) went 2-for-4.
- 1B Cael Brockmeyer (.298) went 2-for-5 with a double. It marked his 10th multi-hit game of the season.