Cubs Minor League Recap: 5/19/15
Tennessee’s pitching powered the team to victory, but Myrtle Beach had its winning streak snapped and South Bend continued to struggle on Tuesday. Iowa was rained out and will be made up on Sept. 1 as part of a doubleheader. Here are some notes from yesterday’s minor league Cubs action:
Tennessee Smokies (22-17)
Southern League (Double-A)
Second Place (-2.0)
Tennessee recorded its second shutout in the last four games, blanking Jackson 3-0.
- RHP Ivan Pineyro (2.70) struck out six in 7.0 scoreless innings. He gave up four hits and walked three.
- SS Elliot Soto (.294) went 3-for-3 with a triple, a walk, an RBI and a run scored.
- 2B Ryan Dent (.240) went 1-for-3 with two runs scored, tying a season high.
- RHP Ivan Pineyro has gone 3-1 with a 1.38 ERA (4 ER/26.0 IP) in his last four starts.
- RHP Carl Edwards Jr. (3.20) collected his third save, tossing 2.0 scoreless innings of relief (0 H, 3 BB).
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (23-13)
Carolina League (High-A)
First Place (+3.5)
Myrtle Beach had its five-game winning streak snapped, falling 6-2 at home to Frederick.
- 2B Chesny Young (.389) went 2-for-5 with a stolen base. He has three consecutive multi-hit games and has hit safely in all four games with Myrtle Beach (7-for-18).
- C Victor Caratini (.213) went 2-for-3 with a walk and a run scored.
- RF Mark Zagunis (.311) reached base four times, going 1-for-2 with three walks. He’s now hit safely in nine straight games (.417/15-for-36).
- RHP Juan Paniagua (0.00) tossed 2.1 scoreless innings. In five appearances with Myrtle Beach, he has allowed zero runs on four hits in 11.1 innings, fanning 12 batters and walking three.
South Bend (18-21)
Midwest League (Low-A)
Sixth Place (-5.0)
South Bend dropped its sixth game in its last seven contests, falling 7-3 at Lansing.
- 3B Jesse Hodges (.245) recorded a season-high three hits, going 3-for-4 with a triple and an RBI (15).
- LF Charcer Burks (.321) went 2-for-4 with two RBI and a stolen base. He has hit safely in 10 straight games (.311/14-for-45).
- SS Jason Vosler (.257) went 2-for-4 with a run scored. He has multi-hit games in four of his last six contests.