Cubs Minor League Recap: 5/20/15
Myrtle Beach came back from an early deficit to pick up the win, but Tennessee and South Bend were both on the losing side Wednesday. Iowa had the day off and returns to action tonight. Here are some notes from yesterday’s Cubs minor league action:
Tennessee Smokies (22-18)
Southern League (Double-A)
Second Place (-3.0)
Tennessee surrendered three home runs in a 6-4 setback at home against Jackson.
- 1B Dan Vogelbach (.333) went 2-for-3 with a run scored and walk. He has 30 walks in 38 games.
- DH Willson Contreras (.307) went 2-for-4 with two doubles and two RBI.
- 2B Elliot Soto (.295) reached base twice, going 1-for-3 with a run scored and walk.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (24-13)
Carolina League (High-A)
First Place (+4.5)
Myrtle Beach overcame an early 3-0 deficit to defeat visiting Frederick, 6-4.
- 3B Chesny Young (.429) went 2-for-3 with two walks, two runs scored and two RBI. He has four consecutive multi-hit games and has hit safely in all five games with Myrtle Beach (9-for-21).
- CF Trey Martin (.208) went 2-for-4 with a double and run scored.
- 1B Jacob Rogers (.262) tied a season high with three walks, going 1-for-2 with a run scored.
- RHP James Pugliese (1.96) tossed a season-high 3.0 innings and collected his third save. He’s allowed four hits and one run while striking out five batters.
South Bend Cubs (18-22)
Midwest League (Low-A)
Seventh Place (-6.0)
South Bend dropped its seventh game in the last eight contests, falling 8-1 at Lansing.
- 1B Gioskar Amaya (.216) went 2-for-4 with a double and walk. He has hit safely in six of the last seven games.
- 2B Jason Vosler (.266) has multi-hit games in five of his last seven contests, going 2-for-4 with a double.
- 3B Jesse Hodges (.254) went 2-for-4 with a double. Hodges is 5-for-8 in the last two games.