Cubs Minor League Recap: 5/27/15
Kyle Schwarber led Tennessee to a walk-off win, while South Bend fell in a one-run game and Iowa lost both sides of a doubleheader Wednesday. Myrtle Beach was rained out and will play a doubleheader Thursday. Here are some notes from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (22-23)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Game 1: Iowa surrendered 16 hits in a 13-1 defeat to Reno in Game 1 of the doubleheader.
- 2B Arismendy Alcantara (.256) went 1-for-2 with a double, a walk and a run scored, extending his hitting streak to nine games (.361/13-for-36). The streak was snapped in the second game (0-for-3, BB).
- CF Matt Szczur (.306) went 1-for-3 with a triple, improving his May average to .316 (12-for-38).
Game 2: Iowa committed three errors, which led to two unearned runs in a 3-2 loss.
- SS Chris Valaika (.233) had the team’s only multi-hit game, going 2-for-3 with a double and a run.
- 3B Christian Villanueva (.275) and LF Jonathan Mota (.291) each went 1-for-3 with an RBI.
Tennessee Smokies (25-21)
Southern League (Double-A)
Second Place (-3.5)
C Kyle Schwarber hit a walk-off single in the 13th inning as the Smokies defeated Mobile, 3-2.
- LHP Jeffry Antigua (2.97) pitched 5.2 innings, giving up one earned run and striking out four in the no decision.
- Schwarber (.307) went 2-for-6 with the game-winning RBI. He leads the team with 27 RBI.
- CF Albert Almora (.271) hit a solo home run in the fifth inning, finishing 2-for-5 with a walk, two runs scored and an RBI.
- RHP Carl Edwards Jr. (2.66) tossed 2.0 scoreless frames, striking out two batters.
- RHP Andres Santiago (4.66) collected his first win, allowing no hits in 1.2 scoreless innings.
South Bend Cubs (20-27)
Midwest League (Low-A)
Seventh Place (-7.0)
South Bend dropped its third straight contest, falling 4-3 on the road at Dayton.
- DH Yasiel Balaguert (.265) went 3-for-4 with a home run, two runs scored and two RBI, extending his hitting streak to six games (12-for-23/.522). He has recorded five consecutive multi-hit games.
- 2B Andrew Ely (.278) went 2-for-5 with a double and a run scored.
- 3B Jason Vosler (.264) went 2-for-4 with an RBI.
- RHP Ryan McNeil (4.50) tossed 2.0 scoreless frames, fanning two batters and tying his longest scoreless outing of the season. He has struck out 16 batters while walking just three this season (14.0 IP).