Cubs Minor League Recap: 6/4/15
Iowa and Tennessee rolled, while South Bend held on to pick up a win on Thursday. However, Myrtle Beach couldn’t bounce back from an early deficit. Here are some notes from yesterday’s Cubs minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (28-25)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Second Place (-6.0)
Iowa cruised past Albuquerque for an 8-2 victory. Christian Villanueva homered in his fourth consecutive game, and the I-Cubs had eight extra-base hits.
- Villanueva (.301) finished 2-for-4 with a home run, a double, three RBI, one walk and three runs scored. He has gone 12-for-27 (.444) with 14 RBI, four homers three doubles and a triple in his last six games.
- 2B Chris Valaika (.248) went 2-for-4 with two doubles, a walk and one run scored, extending his hitting streak to six games (9-for-24/.375).
- C Rafael Lopez (.265) went 3-for-5 and drove in one.
- LHP Eric Jokisch (3.66) pitched 5.0 innings, surrendering two earned runs in the win. He also knocked his first career home run and hit a sacrifice bunt for a season high two RBI.
Tennessee Smokies (31-23)
Southern League (Double-A)
First Place (+1.0)
Tennessee rallied for four runs in the seventh inning to top Chattanooga, 6-1. The Smokies have won six of their last seven games.
- LF Chris Denorfia (.333) went 1-for-3 with an RBI double, scored once and walked once in his first rehab game with the club.
- DH Kyle Schwarber (.327) went 2-for-4 and plated two.
- RHP Felix Pena (3.32) tossed his fifth quality start of the campaign, going 7.0 innings and striking out seven. He has fanned 22 batters in the past three games (17.0 innings).
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (31-19)
Carolina League (High-A)
First Place (+5.0)
Myrtle Beach gave up an early lead, falling to the Carolina Mudcats, 3-2.
- C Victor Caratini (.243) went 1-for-3 with a double, two RBI and one walk.
- DH Chesny Young (.371) finished 2-for-4 and scored once.
- LF Pin-Chieh Chen (.281) went 2-for-3 and walked once.
- LHP Daury Torrez (3.91) tossed a quality start but took the loss, allowing three runs (two earned) off four hits while walking two and fanning six in 6.0 innings of work.
South Bend Cubs (24-29)
Midwest League (Low-A)
Seventh Place (-7.5)
South Bend scored four runs in the first inning and hung on to top Cedar Rapids, 6-4.
- C Cael Brockmeyer (.298) went 3-for-4 with two doubles, a triple, two RBI and one run scored, snapping a five-game hitless skid.
- LF Rashad Crawford (.278) went 2-for-3, knocked a double, plated one, swiped a base and walked once.
- 1B Yasiel Balaguert (.296) went 2-for-4 with one run scored.
- RHP Trevor Clifton (3.83) snapped a three-game skid, earning the win with 5.0 innings of work.