Cubs Minor League Recap: 6/7/15
Iowa was victorious in walk-off fashion, and Myrtle Beach mustered just enough offense to secure a win Sunday. Meanwhile, Tennessee couldn’t get the bats going, and South Bend’s winning streak came to an end. Here are some notes from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (29-27)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Second Place (-6.0)
Taylor Teagarden hit a walk-off single in the ninth inning as the I-Cubs topped Memphis, 3-2.
- C Taylor Teagarden (.292) went 3-for-4 with the walk-off single, a home run and all three RBI (16).
- 3B Javier Baez (.314) went 1-for-3 with a stolen base before leaving the game with a fractured finger.
- RHP Donn Roach (2.07) pitched 6.0 innings, giving up one earned run and striking out five. He has allowed one earned run or fewer in at least 6.0 innings in five of his last seven starts and eight of 12 overall. He has allowed just 16 earned runs in 69.2 innings pitched.
Tennessee Smokies (31-26)
Southern League (Double-A)
Second Place (-2.0)
The Smokies collected seven hits but zero runs, falling 1-0 in 11 innings to Birmingham.
- CF Jacob Hannemann had the team’s only extra-base hit, going 1-for-3 with a double (4).
- C Kyle Schwarber went 1-for-4 with a walk. He has hit safely in five straight games (8-for-19).
- RHP Frank Batista tossed 7.0 scoreless frames for the second time this season.
- RHP Tayler Scott allowed just one run in 4.0 innings, but took the loss.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (33-22)
Carolina League (High-A)
First Place (+5.0)
The Pelicans scored four runs on just five hits, defeating visiting Carolina, 4-1.
- DH Mark Zagunis (.302) went 2-for-4 with a home run (3), a double (10), a run scored and two RBI (22). He has scored a run in five of the last six games.
- 1B Jacob Rogers went 1-for-4 with a go-ahead, two-run double in the sixth inning.
- LHP Michael Heesch improved to a perfect 4-0 record with 2.0 scoreless innings of relief.
- RHP James Pugliese collected his fourth save, allowing just one hit and no runs in 2.2 innings.
South Bend Cubs (26-30)
Midwest League (Low-A)
Seventh Place (-6.5)
South Bend saw its three-game winning streak snapped, dropping an 8-3 decision vs. Quad Cities.
- 3B Jason Vosler (.271) went 1-for-3 with a double (7), a run scored and an RBI (11). Vosler has hit safely in three straight games (5-for-11).
- 1B Cael Brockmeyer (.302) reached base twice, going 1-for-3 with a walk and an RBI (28). He is 7-for-15 with four runs scored and four RBI in his last four games.
- LF Kevin Encarnacion (.321) went 1-for-3 with a walk and continued his six-game hitting streak (7-for-20).
- RHP Ryan McNeil (3.93) tossed 3.0 scoreless innings of relief, allowing just one hit and one walk.