Cubs Minor League Recap: 6/10/15
Myrtle Beach won in extra innings Wednesday, but South Bend gave up a few runs late in a loss. Meanwhile, Iowa had the day off and Tennessee was postponed due to a sprinkler system malfunction. Here are some notes from yesterday’s minor league action:
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (35-23)
Carolina League (High-A)
First Place (+5.0)
The Pelicans prevailed over host Frederick, 9-6 in 11 innings. The teams combined to score 10 runs in the final three innings with four Pelicans registered three-hit games.
- RHP Duane Underwood (2.08) gave up one earned run in 6.0 innings, striking out three.
- DH Mark Zagunis (.305) went 3-for-6 with two runs scored and two RBI (24).
- 1B Jacob Rogers (.253) extended his hitting streak to five games (7-for-16) with a three-hit game, going 3-for-6 with three RBI (34).
- CF Trey Martin (.243) went 3-for-6 with two runs scored and a stolen base (8).
- RF Kevin Brown (.237) went 3-for-5 with a run scored, snapping a five-game hitless skid.
- LF Pin-Chieh Chen (.272) and 3B Chesny Young (.367) each went 2-for-5 with a walk and two runs.
South Bend Cubs (26-31)
Midwest League (Low-A)
Seventh Place (-8.0)
South Bend surrendered three runs in the eighth inning, falling 6-4 at Burlington.
- 1B Yasiel Balaguert (.291) went 3-for-4 with two doubles (10), one run and one RBI (28).
- SS Gleyber Torres (.315) went 2-for-4 with a run scored, an RBI (32) and a stolen base (9). He’s scored a run in four of the last five games.
- RF Jeffrey Baez (.218) reached twice, going 1-for-3 with a triple (2), walk and two runs scored.