Cubs Minor League Recap: 6/11/15
Tennessee and Myrtle Beach were the only squads that took the field Thursday, though neither was able to pick up the win. Both Iowa and South Bend were rained out, which each team playing a doubleheader Friday. Here are some notes from yesterday’s Cubs minor league action:
Tennessee Smokies (32-28)
Southern League (Double-A)
Second Place (-3.5)
Tennessee dropped the series opener at Jacksonville, 5-2. The Smokies were 2-for-9 with runners in scoring position.
- SS Elliot Soto (.274) went 2-for-3 with an RBI and a walk.
- LF Jacob Hannemann (.191) went 2-for-4 and scored once.
- RF Bijan Rademacher (.234) went 1-for-1 with a walk and a RBI (21).
- RHP Pierce Johnson (0.00) drew a no-decision in his first outing with the Smokies, tossing 3.0 scoreless innings and allowing just three hits.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (35-24)
Carolina League (High-A)
First Place (+5.0)
Myrtle Beach fell to Frederick in the series finale, 7-4. The two teams split the four-game series, 2-2.
- RF Mark Zagunis (.308) went 2-for-5 with two doubles (12) and one run scored. It marked his second consecutive multi-hit game.
- LF Pin-Chieh Chen (.271) went 1-for-4 with two RBI (13) and scored once.
- 3B Chesny Young (.373) went 2-for-4 with a double (3) and a walk, marking his third consecutive multi-hit game (6-for-12/.500).
- C Victor Caratini (.253) went 2-for-5 and scored once, improving his hitting streak to four games.