Cubs Minor League Recap: 6/14/15
It was a good day for Cubs affiliates as all four teams picked up wins Sunday. Iowa won in extras, Tennessee and Myrtle Beach were carried by solid pitching and South Bend ended a losing streak. Here are some notes from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (33-29)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Second Place (-8.0)
Iowa took three of four games from visiting Colorado Springs, winning the finale, 8-7 in 10 innings.
- RHP Dallas Beeler (7.57) gave up one earned run in 5.0 innings, striking out six in the no-decision.
- SS Chris Valaika (.249) hit a walk-off single in the 10th inning, finishing 1-for-5 with a run and RBI.
- 3B Christian Villanueva (.277) started the scoring with a three-run homer (8) in the first inning, finishing 2-for-4 with a walk, home run, run scored and three RBI (28).
- CF John Andreoli (.292) reached base four times, going 2-for-3 with two walks, one run scored and an RBI (8).
- RHP Gonzalez Germen improved to 4-0 as he tossed 2.0 scoreless innings (0 H, 1 SO).
Tennessee Smokies (34-29)
Southern League (Double-A)
Second Place (-4.5)
The Smokies collected their second straight win, topping host Jacksonville, 4-1.
- Making his second rehab start, RHP Jacob Turner (2.00) threw 63 pitches in 5.0 scoreless innings.
- CF Albert Almora (.249) went 2-for-5 with a double (8) and run scored.
- 2B Stephen Bruno (.272) went 2-for-4 with a walk, two RBI (19) and a stolen base (6). He has hit safely in 10 of his last 12 games and is batting .350 (14-for-40) in June.
- C Kyle Schwarber (.318) went 0-for-2 but tied a season high with three walks and scored a run.
- RF Bijan Rademacher (.232) scored two runs, going 1-for-4 with a walk and RBI (22).
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (36-26)
Carolina League (High-A)
First Place (+3.0)
The Pelicans surrendered just two hits as they rolled past visiting Lynchburg, 7-1.
- RF Mark Zagunis (.303) went 2-for-5 with a double (13), run scored and two RBI (24).
- LF Pin-Chieh Chen (.276) went 2-for-4 with a run scored and RBI (14).
- CF Trey Martin (.240) went 2-for-4 with two runs scored, his sixth multi-hit game.
- RHP Jonathan Martinez (2.62) surrendered one earned run in 6.0 innings in the win. He has gone 2-0 with a 1.69 ERA (3 ER/16.0 IP) in three June starts.
- RHP James Pugliese (1.56) has gone at least 2.0 innings in 14 of his 19 relief appearances and has held the opponent scoreless in 10 of those outings.
South Bend Cubs (27-34)
Midwest League (Low-A)
Eighth Place (-9.0)
South Bend snapped a five-game losing skid, defeating host Peoria, 7-3.
- SS Gleyber Torres (.319) collected a career-best five hits as he went 5-for-5 with a double (11), two-run homer (1), two runs scored and three RBI (35).
- RF Yasiel Balaguert (.295) went 3-for-5 with a double (12) and run scored. Balaguert has hit safely in five straight games (9-for-22), including two three-hit efforts.
- 2B Andrew Ely (.259) went 2-for-5 with a double (7) and two runs scored.
- 1B Jesse Hodges (.238) went 2-for-4, his 10th multi-hit game of the season.