Cubs Minor League Recap: 6/25/15
Iowa took both games of a doubleheader, and Tennessee, South Bend, Eugene and Mesa all captured victories as well on Thursday. Only Myrtle Beach was on the losing side. Here are some notes from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (38-34)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Third Place (-10.0)
Iowa swept a doubleheader against visiting Omaha, winning Game 1, 3-2, in 10 innings on a Kyle Schwarber walk-off double. The I-Cubs then blanked the Storm Chasers in Game 2, 1-0.
- RHP Dallas Beeler (6.79) struck out six in 6.1 innings of the first game, giving up two earned runs in the no-decision.
- RHP Carlos Pimentel (3.15) fanned nine batters in 6.0 scoreless innings to pick up his sixth win of the year. He’s gone 4-1 with a 0.95 ERA in five June starts.
- 3B Mike Olt (.429) went 3-for-4 with a home run (1) in Game 1 and followed that up with a pair of walks in the second game. He is 3-for-9 with a double and a home run in three rehab games at Iowa.
- RHP Neil Ramirez (0.00) allowed one hit and fanned one batter in 0.2 scoreless innings in Game 1. It was his first rehab outing with Iowa (third overall).
- DH Kyle Schwarber (.222) went 2-for-5 with a triple (1) and a walk-off RBI double in Game 1.
- 3B Christian Villanueva (.277) went 2-for-2 and drove in the only run in the nightcap.
Tennessee Smokies (1-0)
Southern League (Double-A)
T-First Place (–)
Taylor Davis hit two solo home runs to lift the Smokies past host Mobile, 2-1.
- C Taylor Davis (.286) went 2-for-4 with the two home runs (2). He has five RBI in four games with the Smokies after starting the season at Triple-A Iowa.
- LF Billy McKinney (.319) went 3-for-4, extending his hitting streak to six games (13-for-20), including three three-hit efforts. McKinney is batting .339 (20-for-59) in 18 June contests.
- RHP Tayler Scott (2.30) collected his third win, striking out four batters in 2.1 scoreless frames.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (0-1)
Carolina League (High-A)
Fourth Place (-1.0)
The Pelicans dropped a 2-1 decision at Carolina to open the season’s second half.
- LF Pin-Chieh Chen (.294) went 2-for-4 with a stolen base (10). He has five multi-hit games in his last nine contests and is hitting .321 (26-for-81) in 23 June games.
- DH Daniel Lockhart (.214) went 2-for-4, extending his hitting streak to three games (5-for-11).
- RF Mark Zagunis (.319) went 1-for-4 and scored the Pelicans only run.
South Bend Cubs (1-0)
Midwest League (Low-A)
T-First Place (–)
South Bend opened the second half with a 4-3 victory at Lake County.
- 3B Jason Vosler (.261) went 2-for-4 with his first homer of the season and two RBI (16).
- SS Gleyber Torres (.315) went 2-for-4 with a triple (3) and a run scored. He has three multi-hit games in his last four contests.
- RHP Zach Hedges tossed his fourth quality start of the season to collect the win, striking out five in 6.2 innings.
Eugene Emeralds (3-5)
Northwest League (Short-Season A)
T-Second Place (-2.0)
Eugene won its second straight game, topping visiting Boise, 3-1.
- DH Justin Marra (.278) went 2-for-3 with a double (1), a triple (1), a walk, an RBI and a run scored.
- LF Eloy Jimenez (.235) went 2-for-4 with a run scored.
- LHP Justin Steele (0.82) has allowed one earned run in 11.0 innings to begin his campaign. He struck out six in 6.0 innings, giving up just one earned run.
Mesa Cubs (3-2)
Arizona Rookie League
T-First Place (–)
The Mesa Cubs scored three runs in the first inning and held on for a 6-4 win over the Angels.
- 3B Wladimir Galindo (.316) has doubled in three straight games, going 2-for-3 with a walk and two runs scored last night.
- 1B Joe Martarano (.294), LF Jose Paniagua (.267) and SS Carlos Jimenez (.429) all had multi-hit games.