Cubs Minor League Recap: 6/29/15
South Bend had a late rally to earn a victory, and Eugene held off its opponent to grab a win Monday. All the other affiliates were in action but were handed losses. Here are some notes from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (40-36)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Third Place (-9.0)
Iowa fell to New Orleans in 12 innings in the series finale, 2-1. The two teams split the series, 2-2.
- RF Jorge Soler (.000) went 0-for-3 in his first rehab game with Iowa, but drove in the team’s only run with an RBI ground out in the fifth inning.
- C-1B Taylor Teagarden (.279) went 2-for-5, marking his seventh multi-hit game of the campaign.
- 3B Christian Villanueva (.270) went 0-for-3, but drew a season-high two walks.
- LHP Jeffry Antigua (4.29) allowed just one run on three hits in 5.0 frames. He has allowed just two earned runs in his last three appearances (10.0 innings).
Tennessee Smokies (3-2)
Southern League (Double-A)
T-Second Place (-1.0)
Ryan Williams (2.30) tossed his third straight quality start for Tennessee, but the Smokies fell to Mobile in the series finale, 3-2.
- RF Billy McKinney (.310) went 2-for-4 and scored once.
- 3B Taylor Davis (.333) went 1-for-4 with an RBI (8).
- 2B Stephen Bruno went 0-for-2 and plated one (31). He has earned 11 RBI in his last seven appearances.
- RHP Ryan Williams fanned four in 6.0 innings, surrendering one run in the no-decision. In his last four starts (22.0 innings), Williams has allowed just four runs while fanning 16.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (0-5)
Carolina League (High-A)
Fourth Place (-4.5)
Myrtle Beach dropped its fifth straight game to begin the second half, falling 2-1 at Winston-Salem.
- LF Chesny Young (.346) went 1-for-4, knocked a double (5) and plated one (16).
- 3B Jeimer Candelario (.265) went 1-for-4 with a double (19). He has hit a double in his last three starts.
- RHP Daury Torrez (4.14) tossed his second consecutive quality start, allowing just one run off seven hits while fanning six batters.
- The Pelicans were 1-for-6 with runners in scoring position.
South Bend Cubs (4-1)
Midwest League (Low-A)
First Place (+1.0)
South Bend rallied with three runs in the seventh inning to top Lansing, 4-2.
- 1B Gioskar Amaya (.254) went 3-for-4 with two doubles (6), a stolen base (8) and one run scored.
- DH Yasiel Balaguert (.286) went 3-for-4 and plated one (31), marking his fifth three-hit game.
- LF Charcer Burks (.273) went 1-for-5 and crushed his first home run, a solo blast to tie the game in the third inning.
- 3B Jason Vosler (.271) went 2-for-4.
Eugene Emeralds (6-6)
Northwest League (Short-Season A)
T-First Place (–)
Eugene held off a late Tri-City rally to best the Dust Devils, 5-4.
- 1B Matt Rose (.462) went 3-for-5 with a double, two RBI (4) and two runs scored.
- 3B Adonis Paula (.297) went 2-for-4 and plated two runs (6).
- DH Donnie Dewees (.231) went 2-for-5 with a double and scored once.
- CF Ian Happ (.282) went 1-for-3 with two walks, a stolen base (4) and one run scored.
- PH Justin Marra (.318) went 1-for-1 with an RBI (3).
Mesa Cubs (4-4)
Arizona Rookie League
T-Second Place (-1.0)
Mesa dropped its second straight game following a four-game winning streak, falling to the AZL Mariners, 3-1.
- LF Alex Bautista (.308) went 2-for-4 and drove in one run (2).
- 3B Wladimir Galindo (.310) went 1-for-4 with a double (4) and one run scored.
- RHP Jesus Camargo (1.80) gave up just one run while fanning five batters in 5.0 innings of relief.
- RHP Jesus Castillo (7.36) tossed 2.0 scoreless frames and allowed just two hits.