Cubs Minor League Recap: 6/30/15
Myrtle Beach snapped its losing streak, Eugene rallied for a win, and Mesa secured a victory with a walk-off homer Tuesday. Iowa faltered late, and South Bend’s rally wasn’t enough. Tennessee had the day off and resumes play today. Here are some notes from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (40-37)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Third Place (-10.0)
Iowa got out to an early lead, but was unable to hang on, falling to Round Rock, 6-4.
- DH Christian Villanueva (.269) and C Kyle Schwarber (.250) each went 1-for-4 with a double and a run scored.
- CF Rubi Silva (.267) went 1-for-3 with an RBI (27) and one run scored.
- RHP Dallas Beeler (6.33) tossed his second consecutive quality start, allowing just two earned runs off five hits in 6.0 innings of work.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (1-5)
Carolina League (High-A)
Fourth Place (-3.5)
Myrtle Beach snapped its four-game skid, besting Winston-Salem, 8-4. RHP Jeremy Null drew a no-decision in his first start with the Pelicans.
- 3B Jeimer Candelario (.277) went 4-for-4, plated two (28) and scored once. His four hits ties a career high set on May 20, 2013.
- 1B Victor Caratini (.242) went 1-for-4 with a double (15) and two RBI (29).
- RF Mark Zagunis (.312) went 1-for-3 with an RBI (34), a walk and a season-high three runs scored.
- DH Daniel Lockhart (.227) went 2-for-4 and scored twice, extending his hitting streak to eight games (12-for-30/.400).
- LF Kevin Brown (.236) went 2-for-5, marking his sixth multi-hit effort.
South Bend Cubs (4-2)
Midwest League (Low-A)
First Place (+1.0)
South Bend’s eighth-inning rally fell short, and the SB-Cubs were topped by Lansing, 5-4.
- 1B Jesse Hodges (.251) went 3-for-4, crushed a double (9) and drove in two runs (23).
- SS Gleyber Torres (.320) went 2-for-5 with a double (12), extending his hitting streak to six games (10-for-25/.400).
- LF Charcer Burks (.279) went 3-for-5 for his fifth three-hit game of the season.
- 2B Andrew Ely (.248) went 1-for-3 with an RBI (13), a walk and one run scored.
- RF Kevin Encarnacion (.275) went 2-for-5 and scored twice.
Eugene Emeralds (7-6)
Northwest League (Short-Season A)
T-First Place (–)
Eugene rallied in the eighth inning to top Tri-City, 9-4. The Emeralds took the five-game series, 4-1.
- DH Donnie Dewees (.333) went 3-for-5 with three doubles (4), four RBI (4), one stolen base (1) and a run scored.
- LF Eloy Jimenez (.288) went 2-for-4, blasted a solo homer (1), swiped a base (3) and walked once.
- 2B Frandy Delarosa (.256) went 1-for-3 with an RBI (8), a walk and two runs scored.
- SS Ho-young Son (.250) went 1-for-4, plated one and scored once.
- LHP Carson Sands (2.81) earned his first win of the season, allowing just one run (unearned) off three hits and fanning four batters in 5.0 innings of work.
Mesa Cubs (5-4)
Arizona Rookie League
T-Second Place (-1.0)
The Mesa Cubs topped the AZL Mariners, 9-8. Jose Paniagua (.258) crushed a walk-off solo home run to seal the game in the ninth inning.
- RF Robert Garcia (.346) went 2-for-5 with a triple (2) and scored twice.
- SS Andruw Monasterio (.200) went 2-for-4 and recorded two RBI (5).
- 2B Carlos Sepulveda (.265) added two RBI (5), swiped a base, walked once and scored once, despite going 0-for-3.
- 3B Carlos Jimenez (.357) went 1-for-3 with a walk and an RBI.