Cubs Minor League Recap: 7/1/15
Iowa picked up a win with a big run in the late innings, Myrtle Beach edged out a victory, and Eugene kept things going Wednesday. Meanwhile, South Bend fell in extras while Tennessee was rained out and Mesa had the day off. Here are some notes from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (41-37)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
T-Second Place (-10.0)
Iowa scored a run in the bottom of the eighth to sneak past visiting Round Rock, 4-3.
- RHP Carlos Pimentel (3.01) struck out nine batters in 6.0 innings, giving up just one earned run in the no-decision.
- C Kyle Schwarber (.313) went 3-for-4 with a double (4) and an RBI (4) for his second three-hit game with Iowa.
- RF Junior Lake (.303) went 2-for-4 with a double (8) and a run scored. He is batting .480 (12-for-25) in his last seven games.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (2-5)
Carolina League (High-A)
T-Third Place (-2.5)
In a game featuring 25 hits, seven walks and four errors, the Pelicans held on for an 8-7 victory over visiting Salem.
- CF Mark Zagunis (.316) went 2-for-3 with a walk, two runs scored and an RBI (35).
- SS Chesny Young (.343) went 2-for-5 with a double (6), a run scored and two RBI (19). He has hit safely in four straight games (6-for-19) and 19 of the last 21.
- 1B Jacob Rogers (.252) went 2-for-4 with a double (12), a run scored and two RBI (44).
- RHP David Garner (0.00) collected the win in his first appearance with Myrtle Beach, allowing just one unearned run in 3.0 innings.
South Bend Cubs (4-3)
Midwest League (Low-A)
T-First Place (–)
South Bend lost its second straight game to Lansing, falling 3-2 in 10 innings.
- SS Gleyber Torres (.326) went 3-for-5 with two runs scored and two stolen bases (12), extending his hitting streak to seven games (13-for-30/.433).
- CF Charcer Burks (.281) went 2-for-5 for his second straight multi-hit game.
- DH Gioskar Amaya (.256) went 2-for-3 with a walk.
Eugene Emeralds (8-6)
Northwest League (Short-Season A)
First Place (+1.0)
Eugene won its seventh game in its last eight contests, defeating host Hillsboro, 6-2.
- Justin Steele (1.06) picked up his second win of the summer, striking out six and giving up one earned run in 6.0 innings.
- LF Eloy Jimenez (.321) homered for the second straight game, going 3-for-4 with a solo homer, two runs scored and one RBI (9).
- C Tyler Alamo (.333) extended his hitting streak to eight games (10-for-27/.370), going 2-for-4 with an RBI (6).