Cubs Minor League Recap: 7/5/15
Myrtle Beach overpowered its way to a win, and Eugene recorded a shutout victory Sunday. Iowa, Tennessee and South Bend were all handed losses while Mesa was rained out. Here are some notes from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (42-40)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Third Place (-11.0)
Iowa was blanked at New Orleans, recording just two hits in the 2-0 setback. The game was called with one out in the bottom of the seventh inning due to rain.
- C Kyle Schwarber (.356) reached base twice, going 1-for-2 and walking once. He has reached base safely in six straight games.
- 1B Taylor Davis (.281) also recorded a hit for the I-Cubs, going 1-for-3.
- RHP Donn Roach tossed his sixth consecutive quality start but took the loss after allowing two runs on seven hits in 6.1 innings of work.
Tennessee Smokies (5-4)
Southern League (Double-A)
T-Second Place (-2.0)
Tennessee was unable to overcome Birmingham’s early lead and fell to the Barons, 9-4.
- CF Jacob Hannemann (.232) went 2-for-5 and connected on his fourth triple of the season. He has had three multi-hit efforts and five extra-base hits in his last four games.
- C Cael Brockmeyer (.250) went 1-for-4 and blasted a solo homer in his first game with the Smokies.
- LF Bijan Rademacher (.237) went 1-for-2 with a double (7) and a season-high three walks, scoring once.
- RF Billy McKinney went 1-for-3 with a double (13), an RBI (20) and a walk.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (5-6)
Carolina League (High-A)
T-Second Place (-1.5)
The Pelicans enjoyed their second consecutive game with 10 or more hits, blanking Carolina, 12-0. The game was called after the top of the eighth inning due to rain.
- RHP Daury Torrez (3.80) tossed his second career compete game shutout, surrendering just three hits while fanning six batters and walking none in 7.0 scoreless frames.
- C Victor Caratini (.248) went 2-for-3, blasted a homer (3), drove in three runs (32), walked twice and scored twice.
- RF Mark Zagunis (.311) went 1-for-4 with a double (17), three RBI (40), a walk and two runs scored. He has an RBI in five of his last six games (seven total RBI).
- 3B Jeimer Candelario (.285) went 2-for-4, knocked a double (21) and scored twice.
- 2B Daniel Lockhart (.235) went 2-for-4 with an RBI (19) and one run scored.
- 1B Jacob Rogers (.256) went 1-for-3, plated two (50), walked twice and scored once.
South Bend Cubs (6-5)
Midwest League (Low-A)
T-Third Place (-1.0)
South Bend dropped the series finale at Bowling Green, 9-4. The two teams split the series, 2-2.
- DH Jason Vosler (.263) went 2-for-4, blasted a solo homer (3) and a double (9), and scored twice.
- C Erick Castillo (.240) went 1-for-3 with a double, an RBI (4) and a walk.
- 1B Gioskar Amaya (.263) went 1-for-3, drove in one (23) and walked once.
- RF Jeffrey Baez (.183) earned an RBI (8) and scored once despite going 0-for-4.
Eugene Emeralds (10-8)
Northwest League (Short-Season A)
T-First Place (–)
Eugene blanked Vancouver, 6-0. The series will be decided in tonight’s rubber match.
- DH Justin Marra (.243) went 2-for-5, crushed a homer in the fifth, plated three (6) and scored once.
- LF Donnie Dewees (.270) went 2-for-4 with a double (5), an RBI (6), a walk and one run scored.
- 3B Blake Headley (.250) went 2-for-3, walked once and scored once.
- 1B Matt Rose (.290) drew three walks and scored once despite going 0-for-2.
- RHP Adbert Alzolay (0.00) earned his first win after tossing 4.0 hitless innings of relief and fanning four batters versus only one walk.