Cubs Minor League Recap: 7/6/15
Iowa took both games of its doubleheader and Eugene edged out a win Monday. But Tennessee, Myrtle Beach and South Bend all lost one-run contests while Mesa had the day off. Here are some notes from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (44-40)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Third Place (-9.5)
Iowa swept its doubleheader at New Orleans, rallying for three runs in the seventh to win 4-2 in Game One, and blanking the Zephyrs, 2-0 in the second game.
- LHP Jeffry Antigua (3.42) earned the win in Game Two, pitching 5.1 scoreless innings and adding three strikeouts.
- 2B-CF Arismendy Alcantara (.251) went a combined 3-for-7 with three doubles (13) and an RBI (26).
- LF Junior Lake (.283) went a combined 2-for-6 and hit a two-run homer (2) in the seventh inning of Game One.
- C Taylor Davis (.283) and RF Jonathan Mota (.258) each went 2-for-3 with a solo home run in the nightcap.
- 2B Angelo Amendolare (.400) collected his first two hits of the season for Iowa in the second game.
Tennessee Smokies (5-5)
Southern League (Double-A)
Third Place (-3.0)
Tennessee dropped its third straight contest, falling 4-3 at Birmingham.
- LHP Tsuyoshi Wada made his first rehab start, allowing four runs in 4.0 innings. He threw 61 pitches, 42 for strikes, and struck out five batters.
- RHP Rafael Soriano made his Cubs organizational debut, striking out three batters and allowing one hit in 1.0 inning of relief.
- SS Elliot Soto (.257) went 2-for-5 and RF Billy McKinney (.302) went 2-for-4.
- RHP Ryan Williams (2.08) fanned seven batters in 3.0 scoreless innings of relief.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (5-7)
Carolina League (High-A)
Third Place (-3.0)
The Pelicans fell in walk-off fashion, 3-2 in nine innings at Carolina.
- SS Carlos Penalver (.237) went 3-for-4 with his second three-hit game of the season.
- 1B Chesny Young (.335) went 2-for-4, collecting his third multi-hit game in his last six contests.
- 2B Daniel Lockhart (.236) and CF Trey Martin (.245) each had RBI.
- RHP Jeremy Null made his second start with Myrtle Beach, collecting his first quality start by pitching 6.0 innings, giving up two earned runs.
South Bend Cubs (6-6)
Midwest League (Low-A)
T-Third Place (-2.0)
South Bend tallied nine runs and 14 hits but dropped a 12-inning contest against Fort Wayne, 10-9.
- C Gioskar Amaya (.275) went 4-for-5 with a walk, a three-run homer (3), three runs scored and three RBI (26). He is 11-for-22 (.500) in his last six games.
- 1B David Bote (.213) went 3-for-6 with a double (11), two runs scored and an RBI (14).
- 3B Jason Vosler (.265) went 2-for-6 with a double (10) and two runs scored.
- LF Charcer Burks (.277) went 2-for-6 with a double (15) and stolen base (17).
Eugene Emeralds (11-8)
Northwest League (Short-Season A)
T-First Place (–)
Eugene won its second straight contest, defeating visiting Vancouver, 6-5.
- RF Kevonte Mitchell (.109) went 1-for-2 with a double (2), two walks and three runs scored, including the game-winning run in the ninth inning.
- 1B-3B Matt Rose (.314) went 2-for-4.
- LF Donnie Dewees (.268) and 2B Frandy Delarosa (.266) each went 1-for-4 with a walk and run scored.