Cubs Minor League Recap: 7/7/15
It was a successful day for Cubs minor league squads, with affiliates going 5-1 overall on Tuesday. Here are some notes from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (45-40)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Third Place (-9.0)
Iowa won its third straight game, besting New Orleans, 8-3, and taking the five-game series, 3-2.
- C Kyle Schwarber (.358) went 3-for-5, blasted a solo homer (2) and two doubles (7) while plated two (9) and scoring twice. He has four games of three or more hits at Iowa.
- CF Matt Szczur (.293) went 2-for-4 with a leadoff home run (5), a double (7), an RBI (19), two runs scored and one walk. He has a four-game hitting streak (5-for-14).
- 2B Arismendy Alcantara (.257) had his sixth three-hit outing, going 3-for-5 with a stolen base (12) and two runs scored.
- 1B Christian Villanueva (.267) went 2-for-5 with a three-run double (15).
Tennessee Smokies (6-5)
Southern League (Double-A)
Third Place (-2.0)
Tennessee snapped a three-game losing skid, topping Birmingham on the road, 3-1.
- RHP Pierce Johnson (1.14) picked up his third straight win and tossed a season-high 7.0 innings, giving up just one earned run. He has allowed just three runs in his last three outings (15.2 innings) and has yet to surrender a home run.
- C Willson Contreras (.329) went 2-for-4, crushed a double (19) and plated two (39).
- SS Elliot Soto (.264) went 3-for-5 with an RBI (16), a double (6) and one run scored.
- LF Bijan Rademacher (.333) went 2-for-4, knocked a double (8) and scored once.
- DH Cael Brockmeyer went 2-for-4 and clubbed his first double with the Smokies.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (5-8)
Carolina League (High-A)
Fourth Place (-2.5)
Myrtle Beach dropped its second straight game, falling to Winston-Salem, 3-1. The Pelicans were 1-for-9 with runners in scoring position.
- 1B Jacob Rogers (.256) went 1-for-3 with a double (14), an RBI (51) and a walk.
- DH Mark Zagunis (.308) went 2-for-5, knocked a double (18) and scored once.
- RHP Brad Markey (1.50) drew a no-decision in his first outing with the Pelicans and tossed a quality start, allowing just one run on four hits and fanning two batters.
South Bend Cubs (7-6)
Midwest League (Low-A)
T-Third Place (-2.0)
South Bend scored two runs in the seventh to top Fort Wayne in a 2-1 come-from-behind victory.
- 1B Yasiel Balaguert (.289) went 1-for-3 with a game-winning two-run homer in the seventh inning, extending his hitting streak to five games (8-for-19/.421).
- RHP Zach Hedges (3.84) earned the win and tossed a season-high 8.0 innings. It marked his fourth straight outing with 6.0 or more innings pitched and his third quality start in that stretch.
- LHP Tyler Ihrig (2.04) completed his second save of the season after tossing a hitless frame and fanning two batters.
Eugene Emeralds (12-8)
Northwest League (Short-Season A)
First Place (+1.0)
Eugene won its third straight contest, topping Vancouver, 6-4. The Emeralds wrap up the five-game series against the Canadians tonight.
- 2B Frandy Delarosa (.288) went 2-for-3 with a double (4), RBI (11), a walk and one run scored. It extended his hitting streak to a team-leading 11 games (13-for-38/.342).
- LHP Justin Steele (1.23) earned his third consecutive win, striking out six in 5.0 innings while giving up one earned run. He has fanned 27 batters in four games (22.0 innings).
- 1B Matt Rose (.308) went 1-for-4 with an RBI double (2) that plated two (9) and one run scored.
- CF Ian Happ (.230) earned an RBI (8), scored once and drew two walks, despite going 0-for-3.
- DH Ian Rice (.350) went 2-for-4, knocked a double and an RBI (3).
- 3B Adonis Paula (.259) went 2-for-4 with a double (3).
- RF Kevonte Mitchell (.119) went 1-for-3, knocked a triple and scoring once.
Mesa Cubs (7-6)
Arizona Rookie League
Second Place (-2.0)
1B Jose Paniagua (.286) blasted the team’s first grand slam of the year in the third inning, helping the Cubs to a 9-2 victory over the AZL Padres.
- All told, Paniagua went 2-for-4 with four RBI and two runs scored.
- CF Robert Garcia (.372) went 2-for-5, crushed a triple (3), swiped a base (2) and scored twice.
- RF Alex Bautista (.250) went 2-for-4 with a triple and two runs scored.
- RHP Jesus Camargo (1.29) earned his second win after tossing 4.0 scoreless innings of relief while fanning a season high seven batters. He has allowed just one earned run in 9.0 innings of relief.