Cubs Minor League Recap: 7/8/15
The lower level clubs managed wins, but Iowa, Tennessee, Myrtle Beach and South Bend were unable to secure victories Wednesday. Here are some notes from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (45-41)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Third Place (-9.0)
Iowa had its three-game winning streak snapped, falling at Omaha, 7-2.
- C Kyle Schwarber (.351) homered for the second straight game, going 1-for-4 with a solo shot in the first inning.
- LF Anthony Giansanti (.125) went 1-for-3 with a double and his first RBI of the campaign.
- Iowa managed just one baserunner after the second inning. The club had three hits in the setback.
Tennessee Smokies (6-6)
Southern League (Double-A)
Third Place (-3.0)
Tennessee lost for the fourth time in five games, falling at Birmingham, 4-3.
- LF Bijan Rademacher (.249) had a game-high three hits, going 3-for-4 with a run and a RBI (26).
- RF Billy McKinney (.308) and 2B Sutton Whiting (.667) had two hits apiece.
- C Willson Contreras (.328) recorded his first triple of the year while driving in his 40th run of the season.
- RHP Rafael Soriano (0.00) tossed a scoreless eighth inning while walking one.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (5-9)
Carolina League (High-A)
Fourth Place (-3.5)
Myrtle Beach managed just two hits in a 5-0 loss to visiting Winston-Salem.
- 1B Jacob Rogers (.257) and CF Trey Martin (.247) each had a hit.
- LHP Michael Heesch was dealt a no-decision in his first start of the year, giving up no runs in 5.0 innings. He is holding left-handed hitters to a .167 average (9-for-54) on the season.
- RHP Juan Paniagua (2.50) tossed 3.0 scoreless innings of relief while striking out three.
South Bend Cubs (7-7)
Midwest League (Low-A)
Fifth Place (-2.0)
South Bend lost for the third time in its last four games, falling at Fort Wayne, 3-1.
- DH Jason Vosler (.265) went 1-for-4 with a sixth-inning, solo home run.
- 1B Yasiel Balaguert (.289) went 1-for-3, extending his hitting streak to six games (9-for-22/.409).
Eugene Emeralds (13-8)
Northwest League (Short-Season A)
First Place (+2.0)
Eugene won its fourth straight contest, topping Vancouver, 8-4. The Emeralds scored eight runs in the sixth inning.
- RHP Oscar De La Cruz (1.64) fanned six in 6.0 innings, giving up one earned run.
- LF Donnie Dewees (.306) went 3-for-4 with two runs scored, two doubles (7) and one RBI (7).
- 2B Frandy Delarosa (.300) went 2-for-4 with a run scored, two doubles (6) and three RBI (14).
- CF Ian Happ (.231) went 1-for-4 with an RBI (9) and stolen base (6).
- LHP Heath Dwyer (4.15) tossed 1.1 scoreless innings of relief while fanning two.
Mesa Cubs (8-6)
Arizona Rookie League
Second Place (-0.5)
- RHP Enrique De Los Rio gave up one earned run in 5.0 innings, striking out six.
- 3B Wladimir Galindo (.353) and RF Alex Bautista (.306) had three hits apiece while combining to score seven runs.
- DH Joe Martarano (.261) and SS Marcus Monasterio (.235) combined to record seven RBI.
- 1B Jose Paniagua (.277) went 1-for-5 with two runs scored, a walk and two RBI (9).
- RHP Mark Malave (0.00) tossed 2.0 scoreless innings of relief while fanning three.