Cubs Minor League Recap: 7/13/15
Myrtle Beach recorded a shutout win, and South Bend rolled to a victory Monday. Meanwhile, Tennessee, Eugene and Mesa were all dealt losses. Here are some notes from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (47-43)
Iowa is off until Thursday due to the All-Star break. Arismendy Alcantara and Carlos Pimentel will represent Iowa at the Triple-A All-Star Game on Wednesday.
Tennessee Smokies (8-9)
Southern League (Double-A)
T-Second Place (-6.0)
Tennessee dropped the series finale to Biloxi, 9-2. The Smokies open a five-game series at Montgomery on Wednesday.
- 1B Wes Darvill (.168) went 1-for-4 with a double (2) that plated one (15).
- LF Bijan Rademacher (.239) went 1-for-4 and brought in a run for the Smokies (28).
- SS Elliot Soto (.274) went 1-for-3, knocked a double (7), drew a walk and scored once. He extended his hitting streak to nine games (14-for-36/.389) and has drawn a walk in five straight games.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (8-11)
Carolina League (High-A)
Third Place (-3.0)
Myrtle Beach blanked Carolina, 5-0, to close out a five-game series. The Pelicans recorded 10 hits.
- 1B Jacob Rogers (.258) went 3-for-4, clubbed a double (16) and drove in three runs (54).
- 3B Chesny Young (.330) went 2-for-4 and scored twice.
- DH Jeimer Candelario (.274) went 1-for-4 with a double (23) and two runs scored.
- 2B Daniel Lockhart (.228) went 1-for-4, swiped a base (5) and drove in one (21).
- RHP Brad Markey (0.84) earned his first win with the Pelicans after tossing 4.2 scoreless innings of relief, scattering just two hits and fanning four batters.
South Bend Cubs (10-9)
Midwest League (Low-A)
T-Third Place (-2.0)
South Bend cruised past Lake County in the series finale, 8-1. Eight Smokies recorded a hit, and four picked up an RBI for the team.
- RF Jeffrey Baez (.193) went 3-for-4, crushed a double (6) and a home run (3), drove in a season-high three RBI (12), swiped a base (14) and scored twice.
- 2B David Bote (.218) went 2-for-4 and scored twice.
- CF Charcer Burks (.275) finished 2-for-5 with a triple (3) and scored twice, extending his hitting streak to five games (6-for-20/.300).
- 1B Gioskar Amaya (.274) compiled two hits and walked once.
- SS Gleyber Torres (.305) went 1-for-3 with an RBI (45), a walk and one run scored.
- RHP Zach Hedges (3.64) earned his second straight win and fanned a season-high seven batters against three walks. He has tossed quality starts in four of his last five outings.
Eugene Emeralds (14-12)
Northwest League (Short-Season A)
T-First Place (–)
Eugene dropped its fourth straight game at Tri-City, falling to the Dust Devils, 5-4.
- 3B-1B Matt Rose (.250) went 1-for-4, knocked a double (3) and plated one (14).
- 2B Frandy Delarosa (.304) finished 2-for-4 and walked once.
- RF Eloy Jimenez went 2-for-4 and scored once.
- LF Donnie Dewees (.281) went 1-for-5, swiped a bag (2) and scored once.
Mesa Cubs (11-7)
Arizona Rookie League
Second Place (-0.5)
The Mesa Cubs surrendered six runs on 13 hits, falling to the AZL Royals, 6-1.
- RF Robert Garcia (.356) went 2-for-5 and scored once, marking his seventh multi-hit game.
- LF Alex Bautista (.255) recorded the team’s only RBI (5), despite going 0-for-4.
- The Mesa Cubs went 0-for-7 with runners in scoring position.