Cubs Minor League Recap: 7/15/15
Myrtle Beach continued its winning ways, while one big inning was enough to carry Eugene Wednesday. The bats were clicking for South Bend, but it wasn’t enough. Tennessee and Mesa also ended up on the losing end. Here are some notes from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (47-43)
Iowa returns to action tonight against Memphis. Arismendy Alcantara and Carlos Pimentel represented the I-Cubs at the Triple-A All-Star Game last night in Omaha, Nebraska.
- RHP Carlos Pimentel was the starting pitcher for the PCL team. He tossed 2.0 innings, allowing two hits and one run, walking none and fanning four batters.
- CF-2B Arismendy Alcantara earned the start in center field, going 1-for-4 with a double.
Tennessee Smokies (8-10)
Southern League (Double-A)
Third Place (-7.0)
Tennessee opened its five-game series at Montgomery with a 4-1 setback.
- RF Bijan Rademacher (.241) reached twice, going 1-for-3 with a walk.
- CF Jacob Hannemann (.227) had the club’s only extra-base hit, going 1-for-4 with a double (14) and a run scored.
- RHP Tayler Scott (3.52) tossed 2.0 scoreless innings of relief, allowing one hit and fanning one.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (9-11)
Carolina League (High-A)
T-Second Place (-3.0)
Myrtle Beach clubbed three homers in a 5-2 win over host Potomac. The Pelicans have won four of their last five games.
- RHP Jen-Ho Tseng (3.67) gave up one earned run in 7.0 innings, striking out two batters.
- DH Kevin Brown (.244) went 2-for-4 with a two-run homer and two runs scored. He has six RBI in his last four games.
- SS Chesny Young (.333) collected his first homer of the season with the Pelicans, finishing 2-for-4. He has three consecutive multi-hit games.
- 1B Jacob Rogers (.258) went 1-for-4 with his team-leading 11th home run of the season.
South Bend Cubs (10-10)
Midwest League (Low-A)
T-Fourth Place (-3.0)
South Bend collected 11 hits but fell 6-4 in the first of a three-game set at Lansing.
- RHP Erick Leal (4.97) gave up two earned runs in 6.0 innings in the no-decision.
- 1B Yasiel Balaguert (.291) extended his hitting streak to 12 games (.354/17-for-48), going 2-for-5 with a run scored.
- DH Kevin Encarnacion (.299) went 2-for-4 with a run scored.
- 2B David Bote (.225) had his second straight multi-hit game, going 2-for-4 with a run scored, an RBI (15) and a stolen base (4).
- RF Jeffrey Baez (.200) went 2-for-3 with an RBI (13) and a stolen base (15). He also threw out two runners at home. He has now hit safely in four straight games (7-for-13).
Eugene Emeralds (15-12)
Northwest League (Short-Season A)
T-Second Place (-1.0)
Eugene scored seven runs in the fifth inning to pull away, defeating visiting Hillsboro, 8-4.
- CF Ian Happ (.267) went 3-for-4 with a double (4), two runs scored and an RBI (10). He is 9-for-22 (.409) in his last five games with four multi-hit efforts.
- DH Justin Marra (.204) drove in two runs, going 1-for-3 with a walk and a run scored.
- 2B Frandy Delarosa (.309) went 2-for-5 with a run scored and an RBI (15). He has six multi-hit games in his last eight contests.
- RF Eloy Jimenez (.324), 3B Blake Headley (.239) and SS Ho-young Son (.213) all had multi-hit games.
Mesa Cubs (11-8)
Arizona Rookie League
Second Place (-0.5)
The Mesa Cubs dropped their second straight game, falling 5-3 to the AZL Royals.
- LHP Zac Rosscup made his first rehab appearance with Mesa, striking out two batters and surrendering no hits or walks. One baserunner reached via a fielding error.
- CF Robert Garcia (.365) went 2-for-4 and has hit safely in three straight games (5-for-10).
- RF Michael Foster (.250) went 2-for-4 with a run scored and an RBI (2).