Cubs Minor League Recap: 7/16/15
Iowa, Myrtle Beach, South Bend and Mesa all picked up wins for the Cubs yesterday, while Tennessee and Eugene both struggled with the bats. Here are some notes from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (48-43)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Third Place (-9.0)
Iowa opened the season’s second half with a 4-1 victory over the Memphis Redbirds.
- LHP Tsuyoshi Wada made his second rehab start with Iowa, throwing 71 pitches in 6.0 innings. He walked none and struck out five.
- RHP Rafael Soriano (0.00) made his first appearance with Iowa, striking out three batters and surrendering one hit in a scoreless inning of relief.
- LF Junior Lake (.310) extended his hitting streak to seven games (.458/11-for-24), going 2-for-4 with a third-inning solo home run.
- 3B Christian Villanueva (.261) went 2-for-4 with a double (16) and a run scored.
- 1B Mike Olt (.219) went 2-for-4 with two doubles (6), one run scored and two RBI (6).
Tennessee Smokies (8-11)
Southern League (Double-A)
Third Place (-8.0)
The Smokies surrendered nine runs on 11 hits as they dropped a 9-2 decision at Montgomery.
- SS Elliot Soto (.275) reached base three times and scored both of the Smokies’ runs, going 1-for-3 with two walks.
- RF Bijan Rademacher (.242), C Willson Contreras (.319) and 2B Sutton Whiting (.625) all collected a hit and drew two walks. As a team, the I-Cubs collected nine walks and left 11 runners on base.
- RHP Starling Peralta (3.00) did not allow any hits or runs in 1.2 innings of relief.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (10-11)
Carolina League (High-A)
T-Second Place (-2.0)
Myrtle Beach scored a run in the fourth inning and held on for a 1-0 shutout win at Potomac.
- RHP Jonathan Martinez recorded his longest scoreless outing of the season, tossing 7.0 innings with four strikeouts and no walks. He has allowed one or no runs in at least 7.0 innings in three of his last four outings and has won six straight decisions.
- 3B Jeimer Candelario (.270) went 1-for-4 with the team’s only run.
- LHP Michael Heesch (1.48) collected his third save of the season, tossing a scoreless ninth inning. He has not allowed a run in his last three appearances (8.2 IP).
South Bend Cubs (11-10)
Midwest League (Low-A)
Fourth Place (-2.5)
South Bend jumped out to a 9-0 lead after four innings and held on for a 10-6 win over Lansing.
- LF Yasiel Balaguert (.301) extended his hitting streak to 13 games (.396/21-for-53), going 4-for-5 with a double (16), a solo homer and three runs scored. His four hits tied a season high.
- 2B David Bote (.236) had his third straight multi-hit game, going 3-for-5 with a home run, two runs scored and three RBI (18).
- SS Gleyber Torres (.308) tallied his 10th game this season with three or more hits, going 3-for-5.
- RF Jeffrey Baez (.205) went 2-for-5 with a run scored and two RBI (15). He has hit safely in five straight games (.500/9-for-18).
Eugene Emeralds (15-13)
Northwest League (Short-Season A)
Third Place (-1.0)
Eugene mustered just four hits in a 4-0 shutout loss at home against Hillsboro.
- CF Ian Happ (.269) went 1-for-3 with a walk and a double (5). He is 10-for-25 (.400) in his last six games with four multi-hit efforts.
- LHP Kyle Twomey has tossed 2.0 scoreless innings in each of his last two outings.
- RHP Pedro Araujo (3.93) fanned four batters in 2.0 perfect innings of relief.
Mesa Cubs (12-8)
Arizona Rookie League
Second Place (-0.5)
The Mesa Cubs snapped a two-game losing skid, defeating the AZL D-backs, 2-1.
- CF Robert Garcia (.403) went a perfect 4-for-4 with a stolen base (5), extending his hitting streak to four games (9-for-14). This was his second four-hit game of the season.
- RF Alex Bautista (.255) went 1-for-4 with his first homer of the season, a two-run shot in the fourth inning that accounted for both of the team’s runs.
- RHP Dylan Cease has tossed 6.0 scoreless innings across his last two outings. He has allowed just one earned run in 11.2 innings this season, striking out 10 batters and walking four.