Cubs Minor League Recap: 7/22/15
It was a rough day for all Cubs minor league affiliates, as everyone in action came out on the losing end Wednesday. Mesa had the day off and resumes play today. Here are some notes from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (52-45)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Third Place (-8.5)
Iowa was blanked 4-0 at home against Round Rock, its second straight defeat.
- CF Matt Szczur (.279) had the team’s only extra-base hit, going 1-for-3 with a double (9).
- 1B Christian Villanueva (.274) went 1-for-4 and has hit safely in seven straight games (12-for-28/.429).
- LHP Jeffry Antigua allowed just four hits in 4.0 scoreless innings of relief. In four relief outings with Iowa, he has posted a 1.59 ERA (2 ER/11.1 IP).
Tennessee Smokies (10-15)
Southern League (Double-A)
Third Place (-7.5)
Tennessee led 7-1 before surrendering seven runs in the seventh inning and falling, 8-7, at Chattanooga.
- CF Jacob Hannemann (.223) went 2-for-5 with two runs scored.
- RF Billy McKinney (.275) went 2-for-4 with a double (18), snapping a seven-game hitless skid (0-for-25).
- 2B Stephen Bruno (.265) went 2-for-4 with a run scored and two RBI (38).
- RHP Pierce Johnson (1.73) tossed his third quality start in his last four outings, striking out a season high eight batters in 6.1 innings.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (15-12)
Carolina League (High-A)
Second Place (-0.5)
Myrtle Beach allowed five home runs in a 10-4 setback on the road at Lynchburg, snapping an eight-game winning streak.
- CF Pin-Chieh Chen (.274) went 3-for-5 with a triple (2), an RBI (18), three runs scored and a stolen base (13). He has hit safely in 10 straight games (.333/13-for-39).
- C Victor Caratini (.249) went 3-for-5 with a double (19) and three RBI (42). He is 6-for-9 with five RBI in his last three games.
- 1B Chesny Young (.348) went 2-for-5, extending his hitting streak to 11 straight games (.457/21-for-46), including seven multi-hit efforts.
South Bend Cubs (14-13)
Midwest League (Low-A)
T-Second Place (-3.5)
South Bend dropped a 5-2 decision at home to Great Lakes.
- RF Jeffrey Baez (.243) went 3-for-4, swiped a base (19) and scored once, extending his hitting streak to 11 games (23-for-44/.523) with 12 runs scored during that stretch. He has recorded back-to-back three-hit games.
- C Erick Castillo (.309) went 2-for-4 with an RBI (7), for his second straight multi-hit game.
Eugene Emeralds (16-18)
Northwest League (Short-Season A)
Third Place (-3.0)
Eugene dropped its fourth straight game at Vancouver, falling to the Canadians, 4-2.
- 1B Matt Rose (.220) went 1-for-4 with a two-run homer in the second inning to account for both of the Emeralds’ runs.
- LF Donnie Dewees (.227) and 2B Frandy Delarosa (.278) each hit a double in the setback.
- RHP Jae-Hoon Ha tossed 3.0 scoreless innings of relief, allowing just two hits and one walk and fanning three batters.