Cubs Minor League Recap: 7/23/15
Tennessee and Eugene both picked up wins behind late-inning rallies, but the Cubs other minor league affiliates all ended up on the losing side of the ledger Thursday. Here are some notes from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (52-46)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Third Place (-8.5)
Iowa dropped its third straight game, falling to Round Rock in the series finale, 3-2.
- LF Mike Baxter (.292) went 2-for-4 and connected on his first home run of the season, a two-run blast in the third inning to tie the game.
- CF Matt Szczur (.289) went 3-for-4, drew a walk and scored once. It marked his fifth three-hit game.
- RHP Felipe Paulino (4.71) tossed a quality start and struck out a season-high eight batters, but took his sixth loss of the season.
Tennessee Smokies (11-15)
Southern League (Double-A)
Third Place (-7.0)
Tennessee scored three runs in the eighth inning to top Chattanooga, 4-1.
- 1B Jacob Rogers (.200) went 2-for-4 with an RBI (2). This marked his first multi-hit game with the Smokies.
- RF Billy McKinney (.276) went 1-for-3, knocked a double (19), drove in one (26) and drew a walk.
- DH Willson Contreras (.316) went 1-for-3 with an RBI (45), a walk and one run scored.
- LF Jacob Hannemann (.224) went 1-for-3, swiped two bases (14) and scored twice.
- LHP Rob Zastryzny (4.82) allowed just one run for his second straight game.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (15-13)
Carolina League (High-A)
Second Place (-1.5)
Myrtle Beach dropped its second straight game at Lynchburg, falling to the Hillcats, 7-3.
- 3B Chesny Young (.353) went 3-for-5, with a double (9) and a run, extending his hitting streak to 12 games (.470/24-for-51). That stretch has included eight multi-hit efforts.
- LF Kevin Brown (.258) went 1-for-3 and hit a sacrifice fly that scored one (19).
- C Cael Brockmeyer (.136) went 0-for-3, but drove in a run (9) with a sacrifice fly.
- RF Mark Zagunis (.284) went 0-for-2, plated his 42nd RBI and drew two walks.
South Bend Cubs (14-14)
Midwest League (Low-A)
T-Fourth Place (-3.5)
South Bend was blanked by Great Lakes, 13-0, after surrendering eight runs in the seventh.
- SS Gleyber Torres (.317) went 1-for-3 and drew a walk.
- LF Charcer Burks (.276), 3B Jesse Hodges (.245) and CF Rashad Crawford (.284) each recorded a hit. Crawford has recorded a hit in his last four outings (4-for-13/.308).
- RHP Michael Wagner (2.61) allowed a season high eight hits and took the loss.
Eugene Emeralds (17-18)
Northwest League (Short-Season A)
Third Place (-3.0)
Eugene scored two runs in the eighth inning to come from behind and top Salem-Keizer, 2-1. The Emeralds snapped a four-game skid.
- CF Donnie Dewees (.230) crushed a game-winning two-run homer in the eighth inning. All told, he went 1-for-3, swiped a base (3), drew a walk and scored once.
- 2B Frandy Delarosa (.277) went 1-for-4 and picked up his 10th double. He has recorded a hit in his last four outings and has earned an RBI in back-to-back games.
- LHP Tyler Peitzmeier (0.00) earned the win and tossed 2.0 hitless innings of relief.
Mesa Cubs (13-12)
Arizona League (Rookie)
Second Place (-2.0)
The Mesa Cubs got out to an early lead but were unable to hold on, falling to the AZL White Sox, 4-3.
- LF Michael Foster (.394) went 2-for-4, knocked a double, plated one (3) and scored once. This marked his third straight multi-hit game.
- 2B P.J. Higgins (.500) went 2-for-4 with a double.
- RF Robert Garcia (.371) went 1-for-4, hit a double (3), drew a walk, swiped a bag (9) and scored once.
- SS Javier Baez (.333) went 1-for-3 with a run scored and an RBI.
- 3B Varonex Cuevas (.250) went 1-for-4 with a double and an RBI.