Cubs Minor League Recap: 7/26/15
With all six affiliates taking the field Sunday, only Myrtle Beach was able to secure the victory. Here are some notes from yesterday’s Cubs minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (52-49)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Third Place (-10.5)
Iowa allowed two runs in the bottom of the ninth and fell to Memphis, 2-1. The I-Cubs have dropped six straight contests.
- 3B Mike Olt (.268) went 2-for-4 and homered in his second straight game (4), a solo blast in the second inning. He also extended his hitting streak to seven games (10-for-24/.417).
- CF Matt Szczur (.302) went 2-for-3 and drew a walk, extending his hitting streak to seven games (13-for-29/.448).
- RF Rubi Silva (.280) went 2-for-4.
- LHP Jeffry Antigua (2.61) scattered just one hit in six innings and tossed his first quality start with Iowa. He’s currently riding a 11.0-inning scoreless streak.
Tennessee Smokies (12-17)
Southern League (Double-A)
Third Place (-8.5)
Tennessee was blanked by Chattanooga in the series finale, 8-0. The Smokies committed five errors in the setback.
- 1B Jacob Rogers (.263) went 2-for-4 and knocked his first double with the Smokies.
- 3B Jeimer Candelario (.250) also went 2-for-4 with a double (2). He has recorded a hit in five of seven games with the Smokies.
- Tennessee was 0-for-9 with runners in scoring position.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (16-15)
Carolina League (High-A)
Second Place (-2.5)
Myrtle Beach snapped a four-game skid and topped Carolina, 3-1.
- RHP Brad Markey (0.76) earned his third straight win, tossing 7.0 scoreless frames and fanning a career-high 10 batters.
- 3B Jason Vosler (.200) went 2-for-3 with a double, RBI and one run scored.
- DH Kevin Brown (.266) went 2-for-3, knocked a double (8), drew a walk and scored once. He has recorded a hit in eight straight games (12-for-28/.429).
- 2B Daniel Lockhart (.230) and CF Trey Martin (.233) each went 1-for-3 and plated one run.
- LF Pin-Chieh Chen (.276) went 1-for-4 with two stolen bases (15) and one run scored, extending his hitting streak to 13 straight games (16-for-49/.327).
South Bend Cubs (16-15)
Midwest League (Low-A)
T-Second Place (-2.5)
South Bend fell at West Michigan in the series finale, 5-1. The SB-Cubs took the series, 2-1.
- 1B Gioskar Amaya (.269) went 1-for-3 with an RBI (33), a stolen base (11) and a walk.
- CF Ian Happ (.500) went 2-for-4, knocked a double and scored once.
- LF Charcer Burks (.282) went 2-for-4, extending his hitting streak to seven games (9-for-24/.375).
- 3B Vimael Machin (.205) reached base safely four times, going 1-for-1 and drawing three walks.
Eugene Emeralds (17-21)
Northwest League (Short-Season A)
Third Place (-5.0)
Eugene surrendered four runs in the ninth inning and fell to Boise, 6-4. The Emeralds outhit the Hawks 11-6, finishing the first half of the season in third place.
- 1B Matt Rose (.265) went 4-for-5, plated two (26) and scored once, extending his hitting streak to five games (9-for-20/.450). His four hits marked a season high.
- LF Eloy Jimenez (.280) went 2-for-4 with two doubles (4), a walk and two runs scored.
- DH Alberto Mineo (.205) went 1-for-3, knocked a double (2), drew a walk and plated one (5).
- RF Kevonte Mitchell (.141) went 1-for-3 with an RBI (7), a walk and one swiped bag (5).
Mesa Cubs (0-1)
Arizona Rookie League
T-Second Place (-1.0)
The Mesa Cubs were blanked to open the second half of the season, falling to the AZL Brewers, 4-0.
- 1B Jose Paniagua (.301) went 2-for-2 and drew a walk.
- SS Javier Baez (.417) went 1-for-3 and swiped a base. He has recorded a hit in four straight games.
- RHP Jesus Camargo (2.42) tossed 5.0 scoreless frames and scattered just three hits.