Cubs Minor League Recap: 7/28/15
Iowa and Tennessee posted shutout wins, Myrtle Beach held on for a victory, and Mesa took both games of a doubleheader Tuesday. Here are some notes from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (54-49)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Third Place (-8.5)
Iowa scored seven runs in the second inning and rolled to a 9-0 win over Nashville.
- SS Javier Baez (.317), playing in his first game with Iowa since June 7, went 2-for-5 with two solo home runs (10). It marked his third two-homer game of the season.
- LF Junior Lake (.321) went 2-for-5 with a two-run homer, his seventh of the season.
- 1B Mike Olt (.290) went 2-for-5 with a double and two runs scored, extending his hitting streak to nine games (15-for-34/.441).
- LHP Clayton Richard (0.00) tossed 7.0 scoreless frames and earned the win in his first outing with Iowa. He struck out four batters while walking none and scattering just three hits.
Tennessee Smokies (13-17)
Southern League (Double-A)
Third Place (-8.0)
Tennessee cruised past Montgomery with two four-run innings, blanking the Biscuits, 8-0.
- DH Willson Contreras (.317) went 3-for-5, blasted a grand slam in the sixth inning (6), knocked a double (24) and scored twice. His four RBI marked a season high.
- CF Albert Almora (.242) went 2-for-5 with a two-run homer in the third inning (5) and two runs scored. He has recorded a hit in his last four outings, picking up two home runs and five RBI in that stretch.
- 3B Jeimer Candelario (.276) went 2-for-5 and plated one (4), marking his second straight multi-hit game with Tennessee.
- RF Billy McKinney (.277) went 2-for-5 and had a double (20).
- C Tyler Pearson (.150) went 2-for-5 with a double (2). It was his first multi-hit game of the season.
- RHP Ivan Pineyro (3.69) earned his second straight win and quality start, tossing 7.0 shutout frames.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (18-15)
Carolina League (High-A)
Second Place (-2.0)
The Pelicans allowed three runs in the ninth, but held on for a 4-3 victory over Potomac.
- 3B Jason Vosler (.313) hit two home runs (3), going 2-for-3 with a walk and three RBI (7). He has homered in back-to-back games.
- DH Kevin Brown (.266) went 2-for-4 with two runs scored.
- CF Trey Martin (.237) went 2-for-3 with a double (12) and an RBI (22).
- RHP Jonathan Martinez allowed just three hits and walked none in a season high 8.0 scoreless frames to collect his seventh win.
South Bend Cubs (16-16)
Midwest League (Low-A)
T-Fifth Place (-2.5)
South Bend could not come back from an early three-run deficit, falling 4-1 at Great Lakes.
- RF Jeffrey Baez (.238) hit his sixth home run, a solo shot in the fourth inning.
- CF Rashad Crawford (.287) went 2-for-3 with a stolen base (15). He has recorded a hit in nine of his last 10 outings.
- 3B Jesse Hodges (.249) went 2-for-3.
- RHP Erick Leal (4.52) tossed his fourth consecutive quality start, but took the loss after surrendering three runs in the first inning.
Eugene Emeralds (1-1)
Northwest League (Short-Season A)
T-First Place (–)
Eugene fell to Boise in the series finale, 5-1. The Emeralds dropped the series, 2-1.
- LF Alex Bautista (.333) went 1-for-2 and crushed a solo home run in the ninth inning (2). He has two homers and three RBI in just three games with Eugene.
- 2B-3B Andrew Ely (.286) went 2-for-4 in his second game with the Emeralds.
- LHP Jose Paulino (4.73) tossed his first quality start of the season, but took the loss.
Mesa Cubs (1-1)
Arizona Rookie League
T-Second Place (-1.0)
The Mesa Cubs swept a doubleheader at the AZL D-backs, topping the D-backs 12-1 in the first
game and 8-4 in Game 2.
- LF-1B P.J. Higgins (.600) went 3-for-5, crushed a homer (1) and a double, plated two and scored twice in
the completion of the July 5 game.
- LF-1B Jose Paniagua (.302) went 3-for-5 with two doubles (4), a triple (2), two RBI (5) and a walk in the
the completion of the July 5 game. He crushed a three-run homer (3) in the second game.
- 3B Angel Amendolare (.300) went 2-for-4 with a double and an RBI (5) in the second game.