Cubs Minor League Recap: 7/29/15
Tennessee and Myrtle Beach jumped out to early leads and secured victories, while Eugene claimed a one-run win Wednesday. Iowa, South Bend and Mesa were all handed losses. Here are some notes from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (54-50)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Third Place (-8.5)
Iowa surrendered four runs in the bottom of the eighth, falling on the road at Nashville, 6-4.
- RF Rubi Silva (.283) went 2-for-4 with a double (12), a home run (11), two runs scored and one RBI (42). He has hit safely in eight of the last nine games.
- 1B Junior Lake (.319) reached twice, going 1-for-4 with a walk and an RBI (31).
- RHP Felipe Paulino struck out a career-high 12 batters in six innings of work for the no-decision. He’s the first I-Cub since Esmailin Caridad on Aug. 5, 2009, to strike out at least 12 batters.
Tennessee Smokies (14-17)
Southern League (Double-A)
Third Place (-8.0)
Tennessee plated four runs in the second inning and cruised to a 5-2 victory over Montgomery.
- SS Elliot Soto (.276) went 2-for-4 with a walk. He is batting .309 (29-for-94) in 26 July games.
- RF Billy McKinney (.280) went 2-for-5 with a double (21), a run scored and an RBI (28).
- 2B Tommy La Stella (.250) went 1-for-2 with two runs scored in a rehab outing with Tennessee.
- CF Albert Almora reached base four times, going 1-for-2 with a season-high three walks and two steals (6).
- RHP Pierce Johnson pitched 7.0 innings, giving up one earned run and striking out seven. He has allowed one run or fewer in eight of his nine starts with the Smokies.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (19-15)
Carolina League (High-A)
Second Place (-2.5)
The Pelicans jumped out to a 5-0 lead and held on for an 8-5 win over visiting Potomac.
- CF Trey Martin (.242) went 2-for-3 with a three-run homer, two runs scored, a walk and a stolen base (12). He is 4-for-6 with four RBI in his last two games.
- 1B Cael Brockmeyer (.194) went 2-for-3 with two walks and two runs scored.
- C Victor Caratini (.243) and DH Daniel Lockhart (.230) each had multi-hit games.
- RHP Daury Torrez (3.92) tossed his ninth quality start of the season.
South Bend Cubs (16-17)
Midwest League (Low-A)
T-Fifth Place (-3.0)
South Bend mustered just four hits in a 5-0 shutout loss at Great Lakes.
- SS Gleyber Torres (.313) reached twice, going 1-for-3 with a walk.
- 1B Yasiel Balaguert (.275) went 1-for-4 with a double (18) for the team’s only extra base hit.
Eugene Emeralds (2-1)
Northwest League (Short-Season A)
T-First Place (–)
Eugene collected 11 hits in a 4-3 win over host Spokane.
- LF Ricardo Marcano (.244) collected a season-high three hits, going 3-for-3 with a run scored, two RBI (7) and a stolen base (2).
- SS Andrew Ely (.364) went 2-for-4 for his second straight multi-hit game.
- RHP Greyfer Eregua (2.05) tossed 3.0 scoreless innings to collect the save.
- RHP Preston Morrison (1.17) and LHP Kyle Twomey (3.00) each pitched 2.0 scoreless innings.
Mesa Cubs (1-2)
Arizona Rookie League
Third Place (-1.0)
The Mesa Cubs dropped a 5-1 decision to the AZL D-Backs.
- SS Andruw Monasterio (.224) went 1-for-3 with a walk.
- LHP Eric Jokisch made his first appearance with the Mesa Cubs, allowing no earned runs (three unearned) in 2.1 innings.
- LHP Ariel Ovando (0.79) tossed 2.1 scoreless frames, and RHP Scott Effross (1.80) added 2.0 hitless innings.