Cubs Minor League Recap: 7/30/15
Iowa and Myrtle Beach won in dramatic fashion while Eugene and Mesa also claimed wins Thursday. Tennessee and South Bend both were on the wrong side of one-run games. Here are some notes from yesterday’s minor league recap:
Iowa Cubs (55-50)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Third Place (-7.5)
Iowa scored two runs in the 12th inning to defeat host Nashville, 5-4.
- 3B Christian Villanueva (.277) reached base four times, going 2-for-4 with two walks, one run scored and one RBI (55).
- LF John Andreoli (.274) went 2-for-6 with a double (14) and an RBI (16).
- SS Javier Baez (.305) went 1-for-5 with a double (8) and two runs scored. He has scored five runs in his first three games since returning to Iowa.
- RHP Frank Batista tossed 4.0 scoreless innings of relief to collect his first win of the season.
Tennessee Smokies (14-18)
Southern League (Double-A)
Third Place (-9.0)
Tennessee surrendered three solo home runs to Montgomery’s Tyler Goeddel in a 4-3 setback.
- DH Willson Contreras (.317) went 1-for-3 with a double (25), a walk and a run scored.
- The Smokies collected just five hits (four singles) in the loss.
- LHP Rob Zastryzny (4.64) gave up two earned runs in 5.1 innings, fanning four. He has posted a 2.25 ERA (4 ER/16.0 IP) across his last three starts.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (20-15)
Carolina League (High-A)
Second Place (-2.5)
SS Carlos Penalver hit a two-run, walk-off homer in the bottom of the ninth as the Pelicans won their fifth straight game, defeating Potomac, 4-3.
- RHP Jeremy Null (4.33) gave up two earned runs in 5.0 innings for the no-decision.
- Penalver finished 2-for-4 with two runs scored and two RBI. The walk-off blast was his first homer since May 31 of last season with Kane County.
- DH Chesny Young (.339) went 2-for-4 with a triple (3), a run scored and an RBI (24).
- C Cael Brockmeyer (.225) went 2-for-4 with a double (1) and an RBI (10). He has consecutive multi-hit games and three multi-hit efforts in his last four games.
South Bend Cubs (16-18)
Midwest League (Low-A)
T-Fifth Place (-3.5)
South Bend allowed two runs in the bottom of the ninth, falling in walk-off fashion, 3-2, at Great Lakes.
- SS Gleyber Torres (.314) went 2-for-5 with a stolen base (17).
- CF Rashad Crawford (.292) extended his hitting streak to six games (.400/8-for-20), going 2-for-3 with a walk and a season-high three stolen bases (18).
- 3B Jesse Hodges (.247) went 1-for-3 with a solo home run (5) in the second inning.
- LHP Tommy Thorpe (3.67) gave up one earned run in 6.0 innings. He has posted a 1.59 ERA (3 ER/17.0 IP) in his last three starts.
Eugene Emeralds (2-1)
Northwest League (Short-Season A)
T-First Place (–)
Eugene won its second straight game at Spokane, defeating the Indians, 6-4.
- RHP Adbert Alzolay entered in the third inning and allowed zero hits or runs in 6.0 innings. He walked just one batter and struck out three, collected his second win.
- CF Donnie Dewees (.235) went 2-for-5 with a double (9), a home run (4), two runs scored and three RBI (19). It’s his second three-RBI game in his last four contests.
- 3B Andrew Ely (.400) went 2-for-4 with an RBI (1), his third straight multi-hit game.
Mesa Cubs (2-2)
Arizona Rookie League
The Mesa Cubs claimed a 4-2 victory over the AZL Angels.
- DH Varonex Cuevas (.360) went 3-for-3 with a walk, a run scored and two stolen bases (3). It’s his first three-hit game of the season.
- RF Robert Garcia (.358) went 1-for-3 with a walk.
- RHP Trey McNutt collected his second win, allowing just one hit in 1.0 inning of relief.