Cubs Minor League Recap: 8/2/15
Iowa, Tennessee, South Bend and Mesa all picked up wins while Myrtle Beach and Eugene were both handed losses Sunday. Here are some notes from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (58-50)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Third Place (-8.0)
Iowa won its fourth straight contest, topping Colorado Springs, 9-7, despite being outhit 17-13.
- LF Adron Chambers (.265) went 2-for-3 with a double (16), two RBI (18) and a sacrifice fly.
- CF John Andreoli (.288) went 2-for-4, crushed a double (15) and a triple (5), plated one (19), drew a walk and scored three times. He extended his hitting streak to six games (11-for-27/.407).
- 3B Mike Olt (.300) went 2-for-5 with a double (10), an RBI (17), and one run scored, extending his hitting streak to 12 games (20-for-47/.426).
- C Taylor Davis (.279) went 2-for-3 with a triple (2), a two-out RBI (19), a walk, and two runs scored.
- 2B Arismendy Alcantara (.240) went 2-for-4 and scored twice.
Tennessee Smokies (16-19)
Southern League (Double-A)
Third Place (-8.0)
Tennessee plated five runs in the third inning and held on to top Birmingham, 5-2.
- 3B Tommy La Stella and C Miguel Montero both made rehab appearances. La Stella (.250) went 1-for-4 with a double (2) and an RBI (2) while Montero (.333) went 1-for-3.
- RF Jacob Hannemann (.228) recorded a three-run double (17), a walk and a run scored.
- DH Willson Contreras (.324) went 2-for-4 with an RBI double (26), extending his hitting streak to six games (11-for-23/.478).
- SS Ryan Dent (.223) finished 3-for-3, drew a walk and scored once.
- 1B Jacob Rogers (.243) went 2-for-4 and scored once.
- 2B Stephen Bruno (.266) had two doubles (13) and one run scored.
- RHP Andres Santiago (3.99) tossed 6.0 scoreless frames and fanned a season-high eight batters.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (21-17)
Carolina League (High-A)
T-Second Place (-2.5)
Myrtle Beach was blanked by Frederick, 2-0. The Pelicans were 0-for-7 with runners in scoring position.
- 2B Daniel Lockhart (.231) went 2-for-4 and collected his 13th double.
- DH Jordan Hankins (.200) went 1-for-3 with a double (3) and a walk. He has hit a double in three-straight games and extended his hitting streak to six games (7-for-18/.389).
- LHP Tyler Ihrig (4.29) tossed his first quality start with the Pelicans, pitching 6.0 shutout innings and striking out three.
South Bend Cubs (18-19)
Midwest League (Low-A)
Sixth Place (-4.0)
2B David Bote (.227) blasted a two-out grand slam in the eighth inning to lift South Bend to a 7-2 victory at Dayton. Bote went 1-for-4 on the day.
- LF-RF Ian Happ (.290) went 2-for-5 and plated two runs (2).
- CF Rashad Crawford (.291) finished 2-for-4 with two doubles (10) and one run scored.
- 1B-LF Yasiel Balaguert (.274) went 2-for-4 and scored once.
- RF Jeffry Baez (.252) was 2-for-5, knocked a double (9), plated one (22) and scored once.
Eugene Emeralds (4-3)
Northwest League (Short-Season A)
Second Place (-1.0)
Eugene dropped the series finale at Spokane, falling to the Indians, 4-1.
- RHP Oscar De La Cruz (2.72) gave up no earned runs in 5.2 innings, fanning three.
- 1B Blake Headley (.261) went 2-for-3 and scored once, extending his hitting streak to nine games (12-for-31/.387).
- 3B Andrew Ely (.357) went 2-for-5 with two doubles (5).
- LF Ricardo Marcano (.281) went 1-for-2, plated one (10) and drew two walks.
Mesa Cubs (3-2)
Arizona Rookie League
T-First Place (–)
The Mesa Cubs topped the AZL Giants, 7-3. They face the Giants at home tonight.
- 3B P.J. Higgins (.324) went 3-for-5, plated two runs (5), swiped a base and scored twice.
- 2B Carlos Sepulveda (.254) went 2-for-5, earned two RBI (16) and stole a base (6).
- 1B Ben Carhart (.667) went 2-for-3 with an RBI, a double and one run scored in his first game with the Mesa Cubs.