Cubs Minor League Recap: 8/5/15
Tennessee, Myrtle Beach, South Bend and Mesa all secured wins Wednesday while Iowa had its winning streak snapped and Eugene had the day off. Here are some notes from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (60-51)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Third Place (-7.0)
Iowa had its six-game winning streak snapped, falling to Omaha in the series opener, 9-5.
- LF Adron Chambers (.268) went 2-for-5, knocked a triple (2), plated two runs (21) and scored twice.
- C Taylor Davis (.283) went 2-for-4 with a double (13), recorded an RBI (20) and scored once.
- 3B Christian Villanueva (.272) went 1-for-4, hit a double (19), drew a walk and plated one run (59).
Tennessee Smokies (18-20)
Southern League (Double-A)
Third Place (-7.0)
Tennessee cruised to a 13-1 victory over Birmingham. The Smokies recorded 18 hits.
- 3B Tommy La Stella (.348) went 2-for-5, plated one (3), and scored once.
- C Miguel Montero (.167) went 1-for-5 in his third rehab appearance with Tennessee.
- LF Jacob Hannemann (.234) went 2-for-5, crushed a three-run homer (3), drew a walk and scored three runs, extending his hitting streak to five games (8-for-21/.381).
- DH Willson Contreras (.338) went 4-for-5 with a double (27) and three RBI (57). He has a nine-game hitting streak (.556/20-for-36), including five straight multi-hit efforts.
- 2B Stephen Bruno (.269) went 3-for-3 with a double (14), an RBI (41), two walks and three runs scored.
- CF Albert Almora (.240) and 1B Jacob Rogers (.256) each added multi-hit efforts.
- RHP Ryan Williams (2.98) allowed just three hits and fanned one in 6.0 scoreless frames to pick up the win.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (23-17)
Carolina League (High-A)
Second Place (-1.5)
1B Jason Vosler (.256) blasted a two-run homer in the ninth to send the game into extras. The Pelicans went on to top Wilmington in walk-off fashion, 3-2 in 10 innings.
- Vosler (.256) went 1-for-3 and drew a walk in addition to his game-tying homer.
- 2B Daniel Lockhart (.236) went 2-for-4 with a double (14) and the game-winning RBI (26).
- RHP Jen-Ho Tseng (3.41) tossed his second consecutive quality start and fanned six batters.
- RHP Josh Conway (3.00) earned the win after tossing 3.0 scoreless innings of relief.
South Bend Cubs (19-20)
Midwest League (Low-A)
T-Fourth Place (-4.0)
South Bend won its third game in its last four contests, topping Kane County, 10-2.
- 1B David Bote (.236) went 3-for-5 and plated two runs (26).
- DH Gioskar Amaya (.267) went 2-for-3, hit a double (10) and scored twice, extending his hitting streak to five games (7-for-20/.350).
- RF Jeffrey Baez (.257) went 1-for-4, knocked an RBI triple (4) that plated three runs (25), drew a walk, swiped a bag (22) and scored twice, extending his hitting streak to seven games (13-for-32/.406).
- SS Gleyber Torres (.306) went 1-for-4 with two RBI (53), a stolen base (18) and one run scored.
- 2B Vimael Machin (.185) went 1-for-3, plated two (3), drew a walk and scored once.
Mesa Cubs (5-3)
Arizona Rookie League
First Place (+0.5)
The Mesa Cubs bested the AZL Dodgers in walk-off fashion, 2-1.
- C Tyler Payne (.214) went 1-for-3 and drew a walk. He has recorded a hit in his last five appearances.
- LF Michael Foster (.302) went 0-for-3, drew a walk and scored once.
- RHP Luis Hernandez (0.82) earned the win, tossed 2.0 scoreless innings of relief, allowed just one hit and fanned six batters.