Cubs Minor League Recap: 8/9/15
Iowa, Tennessee, Myrtle Beach and Eugene all racked up victories Sunday, while South Bend gave up some runs late and Mesa couldn’t keep pace in a loss. Here are some notes from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (64-51)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Second Place (-4.0)
Iowa won its fourth straight game, blanking Omaha 3-0. The I-Cubs have allowed just one run in their last three games.
- LF Adron Chambers (.268) went 1-for-3 with walk, a run scored and an RBI (23). He has driven in a run in five of the last six games.
- 1B Mike Olt hit a solo home run in the seventh inning, finishing 1-for-3.
- RHP Carlos Pimentel (3.05) tossed 7.0 scoreless frames, giving up no earned runs and fanning three. He has gone 3-0 with a 2.76 ERA (9 ER/29.1 IP) in five starts since the All-Star break.
Tennessee Smokies (21-21)
Southern League (Double-A)
Third Place (-6.0)
Tennessee improved to 7-2 in the month of August by defeating Jackson, 8-3.
- 3B Jeimer Candelario (.338) extended his hitting to six games (9-for-25), going 2-for-4 with a three-run homer, one run scored and four RBI (18).
- CF Albert Almora (.261) went 2-for-3 with a double (17), a walk, three runs scored and an RBI (38). He has a six-game hitting streak (.542/13-for-24), including five straight multi-hit games.
- LHP Rob Zastryzny (4.58) tossed his second straight quality start, striking out a season-high seven batters in 6.0 innings of work to pick up the win.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (26-18)
Carolina League (High-A)
Second Place (-2.5)
The Pelicans tallied 14 hits and 10 runs to roll to their fifth win in six games, topping Frederick, 10-2.
- 2B Daniel Lockhart (.240) went a perfect 4-for-4 with a double, three runs scored and four RBI (30). The four hits, three runs and four RBI were all season highs.
- RF Chesny Young (.333) went 3-for-4 with a walk, a run scored and two RBI (27).
- 3B Jason Vosler (.265) and C Cael Brockmeyer (.243) each added multi-hit games.
- DH Jordan Hankins (.186) and CF Trey Martin (.238) each scored twice.
- RHP Brad Markey (1.01) fanned five in 6.0 innings, giving up one run, to pick up the win. He has allowed four runs in six games (35.2 IP) with Myrtle Beach.
South Bend Cubs (21-22)
Midwest League (Low-A)
Fourth Place (-5.0)
South Bend surrendered four runs in the eighth inning to drop a 9-5 decision to Clinton.
- RF Jeffrey Baez (.269) went 3-for-5 with two doubles (14), one stolen base (25) and two runs scored. He is batting .474 (18-for-38) with six doubles in eight August contests.
- SS Gleyber Torres (.311) went 3-for-5 with a run scored and an RBI (58). He has hit safely in five straight games (8-for-21).
- LF Kevin Encarnacion (.270) added a multi-hit game, going 2-for-4.
Eugene Emeralds (6-5)
Northwest League (Short-Season A)
Third Place (-1.0)
Eugene scored four runs in the first inning to cruise to a 6-3 victory at Boise.
- SS Andrew Ely (.349) went 2-for-4 with a triple (1), a run scored and an RBI (2). He has seven multi-hit games in his last 10 contests.
- RF Kevonte Mitchell (.168) went 2-for-4.
- RHP Adbert Alzolay (0.87) picked up his third win, tossing 5.0 scoreless innings of relief, allowing just three hits and striking out two batters.
Mesa Cubs (6-4)
Arizona Rookie League
First Place (+0.5)
The Mesa Cubs dropped an 8-4 decision at the AZL Indians.
- 2B Carlos Sepulveda (.287) went 3-for-5 with an RBI (20), extending his hitting streak to eight games (.452/14-for-31) with seven RBI during that stretch.
- SS Andruw Monasterio (.208) went 1-for-2 with two walks, two runs scored and one RBI (12).
- RHP Jesus Castillo (4.20) tossed 2.0 scoreless innings of relief.