Cubs Minor League Recap: 8/12/15
Iowa continued its hot streak, Tennessee and South Bend both edged out wins, and Mesa rolled its way to victory Wednesday. Myrtle Beach lost a one-run game, and Eugene couldn’t get the bats going. Here are some notes from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (65-52)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Second Place (-5.0)
Iowa won its fifth game in its last six contests, topping Nashville, 3-1. The I-Cubs have won 13 of 16 games.
- RHP Dallas Beeler (5.16) gave up one earned run in 6.2 innings to pick up his fifth win.
- 2B Arismendy Alcantara (.233) went 1-for-3 and hit a solo home run in the seventh inning (12).
- SS Javier Baez (.292) went 1-for-2 with a triple (2), an RBI (46), a walk and a run scored.
- 3B Christian Villanueva (.269) also picked up an RBI (65), despite going 0-for-2.
Tennessee Smokies (23-22)
Southern League (Double-A)
Third Place (-5.5)
Tennessee scored two runs in the top of the 13th to beat Chattanooga, 4-2.
- RHP Felix Pena (3.96) pitched 5.0 scoreless innings in a no-decision.
- RF Billy McKinney (.286) went 2-for-5, knocked a double (26), drove in three runs (38) and drew a walk, extending his hitting streak to seven games (.379/11-for-29) with 10 RBI during that stretch.
- DH Jacob Rogers (.242) went 1-for-5 and crushed his first homer with the Smokies, a solo shot in the seventh inning.
- RHP Fernando Cruz (5.47) earned his second win, tossing 3.0 hitless and scoreless innings of relief, walking three and fanning one batter.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (27-19)
Carolina League (High-A)
Second Place (-2.0)
Myrtle Beach was unable to overcome an early deficit and fell at Salem, 5-4.
- LF Pin-Chieh Chen (.273) went 2-for-4 with two doubles (12), an RBI (20), a walk and one run scored. He has hit safely in six of his last seven games.
- 1B Ben Carhart (.234) finished 1-for-4, plated one (12) and scored once.
- DH Jordan Hankins (.210) went 2-for-3 with a double (4) and drew a walk.
- The Pelicans tallied seven doubles in the setback.
South Bend Cubs (22-23)
Midwest League (Low-A)
T-Fourth Place (-6.0)
South Bend topped Beloit, 2-1. The two teams face off in the series rubber match tonight.
- RHP Trevor Clifton (4.45) pitched 6.0 scoreless innings, fanning seven to pick up the win.
- RF Jeffrey Baez (.273) went 2-for-5 with a double (15), a triple (5) and one run scored. He is hitting .458 (22-for-48) with 12 runs scored in 10 August contests.
- 3B Matt Rose (.250) went 1-for-4 and blasted his first homer with South Bend. He has recorded a hit and an RBI in his first three games with the SB Cubs.
- 1B Gioskar Amaya (.268) reached base twice, going 1-for-3 with a walk, a triple (2) and an RBI (37). He has hit safely in 10 of his last 11 games.
Eugene Emeralds (8-6)
Northwest League (Short-Season A)
Second Place (-1.0)
Eugene fell to Northwest League North leader Everett, 6-1. The Emeralds mustered just five hits.
- 2B Frandy Delarosa (.274) went 2-for-4, knocked two doubles (16) and scored once. It marked his third consecutive multi-hit game with four doubles during that stretch.
- DH Ian Rice (.281) went 1-for-3, drove in one (12) and drew a walk. Rice has picked up six RBI in his last three contests.
Mesa Cubs (8-4)
Arizona Rookie League
T-First Place (–)
The Mesa Cubs rolled over the AZL Rangers, 11-5. Seven AZL Cubs earned an RBI in the victory.
- 3B P.J. Higgins (.317) went 4-for-5 and fell a homer short of the cycle, hitting a double (4), a triple (3) and two singles. He also recorded two RBI (7) and scored twice.
- 1B Jose Paniagua (.275) finished 3-for-5, plated two (23) and scored once.
- CF Darryl Wilson (.316) also went 3-for-5, belted a triple (2) and scored twice.
- 2B Carlos Sepulveda (.285) recorded a 2-for-4 day with a double (4), an RBI (22), a walk and three runs scored.
- SS Andruw Monasterio (.221) went 2-for-5, blasted a two-run homer and scored twice.
- DH Daniel Springola (.500) was 2-for-4 with a double, an RBI, a walk and one run scored.
- RHP Jared Cheek (0.00) earned the save in his first game with Mesa, fanning two batters in 2.0 shutout innings of relief.