Cubs Minor League Recap: 8/13/15
South Bend and Myrtle Beach cruised to victories Thursday, but the rest of the Cubs affiliates all came out on the losing end. Here are some notes from yesterday’s minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (65-53)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Second Place (-6.0)
Iowa gave up four unanswered runs in the final four frames, dropping an 8-4 decision to Nashville.
- 2B Tommy La Stella (.500) went 2-for-4 with a three-run homer in his first game with Iowa.
- CF Matt Szczur (.300) extended his Iowa hitting streak to 14 games (.367/22-for-60), going 2-for-4 with a double (12).
- 1B Christian Villanueva (.268) reached base twice, going 0-for-2 with a run scored and two walks.
- LHP Eric Jokisch made his first appearance with Iowa since June 9.
Tennessee Smokies (23-23)
Southern League (Double-A)
Third Place (-5.5)
Tennessee scored twice in the ninth, but could not complete the comeback, falling 4-3 at Chattanooga.
- CF Albert Almora (.270) went 2-for-3 with a double (20), a walk and a run scored. He has hit safely in 10-straight games (.513/20-for-39), including eight multi-hit efforts, and is batting .423 (22-for-52) in 13 August games.
- LF Jacob Hannemann (.240) went 2-for-5 and is hitting .333 (17-for-51) in 12 August contests.
- RHP Pierce Johnson has posted a 1.80 ERA (4 ER/20.0 IP) in three August starts.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (28-19)
Carolina League (High-A)
Second Place (-1.0)
Myrtle Beach scored five times in the fourth inning to roll to a 9-3 victory over Salem.
- LF Pin-Chieh Chen (.273) went 1-for-4 with a double (13), an RBI (21) and two runs scored. He has hit safely in five-straight games (.364/8-for-22).
- RF Chesny Young (.332) extended his hitting streak to six games (.346/9-for-26), going 2-for-5 with a run scored, two RBI (29) and a stolen base (9).
- 3B Jason Vosler (.283) went 1-for-3 with a solo home run, a walk and two runs scored. He has drawn a walk in nine-straight games.
South Bend Cubs (23-23)
Midwest League (Low-A)
T-Fourth Place (-6.0)
South Bend cruised to a 7-1 victory at Beloit in the rubber game of a three-game series.
- LF Ian Happ (.238) blasted a grand slam in the fifth inning, for his second home run with South Bend. He finished 1-for-4 with a run scored and five RBI (10).
- 2B David Bote (.243) went 2-for-3 with two runs scored and a walk. It was his second straight multi-hit game.
- CF Rashad Crawford (.283) went 2-for-3 with two runs scored and a walk.
- RHP Dillon Maples (3.72) tossed 2.1 scoreless innings of relief, allowing just one hit and fanning four.
Eugene Emeralds (8-7)
Northwest League (Short-Season A)
Third Place (-2.0)
Eugene collected just three hits in a 7-0 shutout loss against Everett.
- CF Donnie Dewees (.242), 2B Frandy Delarosa (.274) and LF Eloy Jimenez (.273) each went 1-for-4 with a single.
- RHP Scott Effross (0.00) tossed 3.2 scoreless innings of relief. He has not allowed a run in two appearances (4.2 IP) this season at Eugene.
Mesa Cubs (8-5)
Arizona Rookie League
Third Place (-1.0)
The Mesa Cubs scored twice in the first but could not hold on, falling 3-2 against the AZL Giants.
- 3B P.J. Higgins (.317) went 1-for-3 with a walk and a two-run homer, accounting for all the team’s scoring. He is 5-for-8 with three runs and four RBI in his last two games.
- LHP Carlos Rodriguez (4.76) tossed 3.1 scoreless innings of relief, fanning three batters. He has not allowed a run in seven of his last eight appearances.