Cubs Minor League Recap: 8/16/15
It was a successful day for Cubs affiliates, as Iowa, Myrtle Beach and South Bend all claimed victories on Sunday. Eugene also picked up a win as four pitchers combined for a no-hitter. Tennessee couldn’t keep up in a loss while Mesa had the day off. Here are some notes from yesterday’s Cubs minor league action:
Iowa Cubs (67-54)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Second Place (-6.0)
Iowa scored a run in the ninth inning to claim its second straight victory, topping Las Vegas, 4-3.
- C Taylor Teagarden (.299) went 3-for-3 with a double (7), a walk and an RBI (21). It was his second-straight multi-hit game and fourth three-hit game of the season.
- RF John Andreoli (.288) extended his hitting streak to five games (.389/7-for-18), going 2-for-5 with a double (18) and a run scored.
- SS Javier Baez (.289) collected his second straight multi-hit game, going 2-for-4 with a double (12), a walk, a run scored and a stolen base (14).
Tennessee Smokies (24-25)
Southern League (Double-A)
Third Place (-5.5)
Tennessee allowed 10 unanswered runs over the final five frames, falling 11-4 at Chattanooga.
- DH Willson Contreras (.331) went 2-for-4 with a double (30), two runs scored and an RBI (65). He is batting .397 (25-for-63) with 15 RBI in 16 August contests.
- 3B Jeimer Candelario (.284) and SS Jonathan Mota (.143) each singled and drew a walk.
- LF Albert Almora (.268) and 2B Stephen Bruno (.271) each scored a run.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (30-20)
Carolina League (High-A)
Second Place (-1.5)
Myrtle Beach took the rubber match against Lynchburg, blanking the Hillcats, 2-0.
- RF Chesny Young (.335) recorded his seventh three-hit game, going 3-for-4 with a double (15) and a run scored. He is batting .321 (17-for-53) with five doubles in 13 August games.
- DH Jordan Hankins (.227) went 2-for-4 with a double (5) and a run scored.
- RHP Brad Markey pitched 6.2 scoreless innings, fanning four. He has allowed zero or one run in each of his seven appearances with Myrtle Beach, posting a 0.85 ERA (4 ER/42.1 IP) and earning victories in five of his last six outings.
South Bend Cubs (25-24)
Midwest League (Low-A)
T-Third Place (-7.0)
South Bend earned a 4-1 victory over Wisconsin in the rubber match of a three-game set.
- DH Ian Happ (.267) went 2-for-3 with a triple (1), a home run (4), a walk, two runs scored and three RBI (15). He has four homers and 13 RBI in his last eight games.
- 1B Matt Rose (.321) went 2-for-4 and has hit safely in all seven games (9-for-28) with South Bend.
- RHP Zach Hedges (3.73) gave up one earned run in 5.0 innings, striking out two.
- RHP Michael Wagner (3.30) and RHP Alex Santana (3.09) each tossed 2.0 scoreless innings of relief.
Eugene Emeralds (10-8)
Northwest League (Short-Season A)
T-Second Place (-1.0)
Eugene recorded its fifth no-hitter in franchise history as four pitchers combined to blank Everett, 3-0.
- RHP Preston Morrison (3.0 IP, 4 K), LHP Kyle Twomey (3.0 IP, BB, 3 K), RHP Luis Hernandez (2.0 IP, 2 BB, 4 K) and RHP Trey Masek (1.0 IP, 1 K) contributed to the Ems first no-hitter since 1968. Morrison has allowed just one run in 13.2 innings this season, including four consecutive scoreless appearances (10.0 IP).
- RF Kevonte Mitchell (.171) went 2-for-3 with a double (6), a run scored and an RBI (9).